Author Topic: Who owns the FreeSpace IP?  (Read 4142 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Who owns the FreeSpace IP?
You evidently were playing freelancer all wrong. The only purpose of that game was to deliberately choose never to actually be ready for missions so that you could piss off your companions.

That and stare at Juni's arse.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline ns161

Ok, I have some legal training and I state this with the caveat that I have NOT yet taken patent law.

But it looks to me like Interplay at some point "assigned" the IP to Microsoft (probably to avoid having it auctioned off in some kind of bankruptcy proceeding) and then Microsoft assigned it back to Interplay in 2002.

Now what that means in terms of ownership?  I don't really know.

I can be reasonably sure of one thing though, "Assign" is almost certainly not the same as "Own".  I don't know quite what it means, but they are probably two different concepts.  Legal writing is very specific and if they meant to say "Own" they would've said "Own"

In layman's terms, it means that Interplay can no longer work on any further FreeSpace games. And since Volition is all but bankrupt (I know, I know, just released a new game, but Tarr Chronicles was meh) the FreeSpace community will have to stick to open-source modification for now (which isn't terrible, all things considered).

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
In layman's terms, it means that Interplay can no longer work on any further FreeSpace games. And since Volition is all but bankrupt (I know, I know, just released a new game, but Tarr Chronicles was meh) the FreeSpace community will have to stick to open-source modification for now (which isn't terrible, all things considered).

:wtf:
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org

You manage to be wrong several times in those two sentences. Truly a feat. Keep writing, maybe you'll break the record.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.

You manage to be wrong several times in those two sentences. Truly a feat. Keep writing, maybe you'll break the record.
From what I understand--Interplay saved the Freespace license by letting Microsoft "borrow" it--then when they had a budget in place to survive, they had it returned. Somebody in Interplay knows somebody in Microsoft--and let the dealing work. It seems that the Freespace IP is back in Interplay's quite clamy hands. In effect, nothing has changed. Maybe they were planning to do some Freespace 3 for XBox.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Microsofts nature gives the impression that if they were ever "given" ownership (temporary or otherwise) they would just "not" give it back....

Kinda like the president of Cuba in that Trillion Dollar Bill episode of the simpsons.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
you know when I posted back in like 2003, we ran more copies (less than 1500) off the presses. I did look at the paperwork briefly and it said INTERPLAY at the top not Microsoft.

Unless the order sent to us was illegal (then I doubt we would be liable since it was in good faith and all the t's crossed and I's dotted correctly) we just pull the masters off the shelf and run the order. Was probably back when schoolpop.com sold it online... AFAIK we hadn't had a FS2 order since and I doubt we still have the masters anymore after the last archive purge.
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)