Author Topic: Who owns the FreeSpace IP?  (Read 4140 times)

Who owns the FreeSpace IP?
FSWiki states that Interplay currently owns the FS IP. It has these links to the US Patent and Trademark Office:

http://assignments.uspto.gov/assignments/q?db=tm&sno=75390434
http://assignments.uspto.gov/assignments/q?db=tm&rno=2314929
http://assignments.uspto.gov/assignments/q?db=tm&sno=75727695
http://assignments.uspto.gov/assignments/q?db=tm&rno=2432924

The same FSWiki article states that an (fairly unreliable) source in Interplay states that Interplay does not own the FS IP.

Now look at the links provided above. Looks like a lot of legal mumbo-jumbo, but as far as I can tell these are assigments, or legal transfers of the IP rights to various companies. Apparently, the FreeSpace IP is owned by various credit companies and Microsoft.

Look at the patent office links and tell me what you think.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Re: Who owns the FreeSpace IP?
I doubt any one of us really knows where the licence is today.

Last we ever heard of it, Interplay retained the rights to publishing (as said by Kulas, if sequels are to be made, it's Interplay's choice), and Volition to the content of the two already released games (at least that's an assumption considering who's been handling the assets after the breakup).

Who Interplay whored it to, and for what purposes, I doubt we'll ever really know that. Though I do assume we'd hear about it changing hands at some point if it happened, for black and white profit.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It's in limbo...and hopefully, it will return.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
God I hope not.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Of all of the gaming communities that I've heard of, this one is the only one that's opposed to a sequel.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
For very good and obvious reasons though.

Not at all relating to Not Derek Smart.

Seriously, though, Volition would have to release an uber sequel what with the mods we here at HLP are like. And how many sequels that have come out recently have been uber? PoTC, meh. Spider Man 3, meh. The Bourne Ultimatum, good action, meh for predictability. What else?

If :v: were to release you-know-what, they'd have to make it uber or it won't do well. Plus, we have enough content here at HLP to last a good long while, lots of campaigns are to be released (granted, some by 2009).

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
PoTC, meh.

You should never have to sit around for an hour after the movie explaining it to the rest of your family.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

PoTC, meh.

You should never have to sit around for an hour after the movie explaining it to the rest of your family.

Kinda like Halo 3, eh? that was the other flop I was searching for...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

I doubt any one of us really knows where the licence is today.

Last we ever heard of it, Interplay retained the rights to publishing (as said by Kulas, if sequels are to be made, it's Interplay's choice), and Volition to the content of the two already released games (at least that's an assumption considering who's been handling the assets after the breakup).

Who Interplay whored it to, and for what purposes, I doubt we'll ever really know that. Though I do assume we'd hear about it changing hands at some point if it happened, for black and white profit.

Considering that they sold it to several credit companies, it was probably to get them out of debt. Still, if a FreeSpace sequel ever does come out, it may well be by Microsoft.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Considering that they sold it to several credit companies, it was probably to get them out of debt. Still, if a FreeSpace sequel ever does come out, it may well be by Microsoft.

What?

Read the first post.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
No, no, no, I mean what?

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
FREEEEEEEEEEEELANCEEEEEEEEEEEEER

Pass.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
In answer to the thread title... no I don't own the Freespace.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Pass.

Freelancer was good, but there wasn't enough "OOOMPH" in it to trump FS.
Who knows...who knows...a miracle might happen and we might even live to see FS# that's amazingly great (regardless which company makes it)

I got all this sorted out. Apparently FreeSpace was briefly traded to MS and credit companies in 2001 as loan collateral, then return in 2002. So forget the Microsoft thing. Sorry, false alarm.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI

Pass.

Who knows...who knows...a miracle might happen and we might even live to see FS# that's amazingly great (regardless which company makes it)

You're a modeler, that means you need to have some sort of grasp on mathematics.

Calculate the odds of anyone creating an FS game that sequelizes the first two in a satisfactory matter, gameplay and story wise.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom

Pass.

At the risk of going off topic...

Freelancer started off as a pretty good and mysterious thriller of a plot. People disappearing, paranoia, conspiracies abound, good stuff like that.
Spoiler:
But then the fat man's eyes started glowing and Rheinland inexplicably got 200 battleships out of nowhere, and Trent has to use the Magic Reset Button Artifact to save the day. BLEH.

Suspension of disbelief only goes so far.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
At the risk of going off topic...

Freelancer started off as a pretty good and mysterious thriller of a plot. People disappearing, paranoia, conspiracies abound, good stuff like that.
Spoiler:
But then the fat man's eyes started glowing and Rheinland inexplicably got 200 battleships out of nowhere, and Trent has to use the Magic Reset Button Artifact to save the day. BLEH.

Suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

Yeah. the initial story was great. I got swept into it. Escaping from liberty space, commander Walker and the stuff - great. But the aliens were done in the WORST possible way.

Calculate the odds of anyone creating an FS game that sequelizes the first two in a satisfactory matter, gameplay and story wise.[/quoteg

((FS1+FS2)*C/L)* ([V] - $) - M$^2/SMART) + HEF - SOD+2 -SCP