Author Topic: Weisman buys back MechWarrior and Shadowrun from MS  (Read 2215 times)

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Weisman buys back MechWarrior and Shadowrun from MS
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/06/weisman-licenses-mechwarrior-shadowrun-crimson-skies-rights-ba/

Hope for a MW5 anyone?

And in other news, ngtm1r might just start believing in god again. :p

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Re: Weisman buys back MechWarrior and Shadowrun from MS
I hope for a MW game in the style of MW3. It was the most sim like MW and I loved it.
I also hope that Crimson skies returens to the PC. The first titles was a lot of fun to play and I even dust it of and play it again because its pure fun and the characters in the story are also interesting...well at least the first time you play it.
I wouldn't change anything on the concept of the old Chrimson Skies. Just give it a good Story and some up to date graphics and we are ready to fly.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
MW5?  The slightest chance?

Me wants!

I agree with gevatter Lars, though - any new MW should be based on MW3, not MW4.
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Weisman ain't much better than MS, tbtfh.

So God? Yeah, he can stay wherever he is. I'll believe in him again when I see acceptable results out of the creator of Dorkage. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
mw5 would be cool if the input code doesnt suck, ie supporting more than 4 axes and perhaps a track ir.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
MW5 would be cool if it came with a MW equivalent of FRED.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

I don't see how MW5 could be anything other than DarkAge seeing as the CBT license is still held by Wizkids. Besides, other than the loosely-documented fall of the inner sphere that precedes DA, there's nowhere else the series could feasibly go without being a crapfest like Vengeance.

It could go back in the timeline to the good old starleague... but that's just wishful thinking
Lead me, follow me, or get the hell out of my way!!

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Just set it during the Clan invasions since that worked so well for MW2: Mercs and MW3.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

I think you spelled wise man wrong...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I think a new MW came could or maybe even should be set during the Djihad. I have played both BT and ClickTech AKA Darkage and I miss a lot of informations regarding the time between. Ok I haven't read the new books, maybe there are some infos about this time.
Still I think a game set in this very part of the BT universe could be interesting.
You could start as a kind of neutral Pilot in a Merc unit or a planetary garision and then the Djihad comes around and you are forced to decide to go with or against them.

I don't know if he holds any rights on it but does anyone knows the game Mechwars/Succession Wars where you play as one of the big houses of the IS. You are moveing around units instead of a single mech. Kind of a Risk game for Battletech.
I would like to see that kind of game with a bit more complexity and an multiplayer part. Keep it turnbases and add some options for diplomacy.
When playing the boardgame the most fun part was to have these secret diplomatic chatter. Mostly it was like "We need to talk!" then both picked up there money, looked at where there units where positioned and they went out of the room.
It was allways a strange feeling not knowing what they have spoken about.
It could be a very helpfull tool to create confusion since all contracts that where made outside where not binding. Only contracts that where made public are binding...and even the following them by the latter could cause quite some problems.
Ah I remeber some good games doing so ^_^

Anyway I think the BT universe holds enough options and places to make a good game. Only thing is that they find a good storywriter, an engine that can give the player the feeling to command a Battlemech and not some Gundam-Ninja-Mech. We don't need any Mech-Fu where you can dodge a gaussrifle ^_^
(No offence against the anime series but hopping around Battlemechs would be strange)

"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
I agree with Lars. A new MW game should be set in the Jihad, that would give a lot of options for anyone who makes the game what with the Inner Sphere and Clans burning and all :D.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i dont care so long as its a somewhat decent mech sim
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

I only vaguely remember MW2 and a few other MW games that were utter crap... but I recall MW2 being freaking awesome because of the complexity of the controls (made it feel like I was actually piloting a mech), and because of the huge amount of mechs configurability.  If they made another one like MW2, I'd be all over it.