Author Topic: Teeth of the Tiger  (Read 208086 times)

For the last week I've been playing with Truespace, Photoshop, PCS and a couple of other programs whenever I had some free time, trying to find out how to make a working ship for FS SCP.

This is my FIRST ship and it's WIP, so it doesn't look really detailed, but since I got it to fly...:

Coming up next:
-panels
-shinemaps
-glowmaps
-a search for normal mapping tutorials

P.S. Comments? Suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 01:24:57 pm by BengalTiger »
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: First working model, unfinished
Coming up next:
-panels
-shinemaps
-glowmaps
-a search for normal mapping tutorials

P.S. Comments? Suggestions?

Before you go onto Shinemaps and Glowmaps a more detailed texture would be welcome.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
A bit dark...hard to make out.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

And a little more detail and brightness...

Now time to think of some thrusters/inlets/other details/glows and it should look nice.

Also- weapons and subsystems exist and work (including 'fireball', a custom weapon that needs a real name, to compensate for only 2 gunmounts, blob shown in next screenshot), docking path seems to be messed up.

Oh yeah- 2 new small thrusters also appeared.

Update for today:

Since I don't have any good ideas to finish the textures, I did some tbl edits, balancing the ship, it's guns and also gave it a muzzleflash:

The ship (named Hussar) is a 'heavy interceptor', 18 m wide, 19 meters long and 13 meters high. It has almost the HP's of a GVB Sekhmet, it's a bit more maneuverable, much faster on A-burners, and carries a lot less missiles (20+30 in 2 bays)

It's primary guns (Koncerz, named after the big sword the hussars used) are almost 2x more powerfull than a Kayser, and suck a respectable amount of power too. The Koncerz has the 'cycle' flag added, so only 1 gun shoots at a time.

Again: Suggestions, comments (other than the detailed textures I need to work on)?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I noticed a reduction of the thrusters. Nice :yes:

I'm worried about the primary. Though it has the "cycle" flag, it might be not to balance something with the power of 2 Kaysers...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The texture is still lacking IMO. (no offense)

I noticed a reduction of the thrusters. Nice :yes:

I'm worried about the primary. Though it has the "cycle" flag, it might be not to balance something with the power of 2 Kaysers...

And I was trying to keep them as big as possible....  :snipe:

The whole idea of giving it such mighty guns is: The Erynies carries up to 8 Kaysers and 90 units of missiles vs the Hussar's 2 guns and 50 units of missiles, so it would look like a wu$$y with standard FS weapons.

BTW- how does the muzzleflash look? Big/small enough or should I resize it like the thrusters?

PS: I'm also thinking of giving it glowing orange tiger-stripes and creating a new race (which is pretty popular lately...) just to model a whole line of ships from fighter through corvette to battleship.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Ok. Powerful primaries and contained secondaries...they're enough for balance.

Its shape is still close to GTVA specifications but you're always free to create a new set of craft belonging to a separate species :)

I like the idea of another species. Many campaign creators simply go with reskins...

Are you going to use inertia and high speeds?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Go crazy with your ideas. Se what works and what not by yourself.

RULE NO1 - have fun modding ;7
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Are you going to use inertia and high speeds?

I'll play with it when I'll be fine tuning the .tbls.

Go crazy with your ideas. Se what works and what not by yourself.

RULE NO1 - have fun modding ;7

That's basically my whole idea: an 'alternative' way of making ship classes, and see how it works with the cannon ones (ie. a 'gunship', 'carrier' and 'battleship' class along with a couple already existing ones would form my fleet, I'll also say goodbye to destroyers and use a corvette or frigate style ship for the role...)

Oh yeah:

NOW how does it look? :D

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Nice to see that someone remember about Hussars :D I'm from Poland ;)
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Wait a second, is this model a Vasudan or Terran fighter?!? I initially thought it was Vasudan...then I thought it was Terran...I now see those momentary textures and think the model is Vasudan!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Wait a second, is this model a Vasudan or Terran fighter?!? I initially thought it was Vasudan...then I thought it was Terran...I now see those momentary textures and think the model is Vasudan!

Shivan perhaps?  :lol:
To me it looks terran.
not bad to be the first model.
Do you also work on larger ships?
Steadfast  Project Member

INFERNO: ALLIANCE

In that case:
Neither :ha:

Now I need a name for a race, because 'Wearegoodguysandwehavesimilarshipstothegeeteeveeaybuttheyhaveo rangeglowingstripes' isn't good enough and 'Ancients', 'Vishnans' and 'Vasudans' is already taken...

Nice to see that someone remember about Hussars :D I'm from Poland ;)

No s**t man, me too  :p

Shivan perhaps?  :lol:
To me it looks terran.
not bad to be the first model.
Do you also work on larger ships?

Yeah, I'm thinking of a whole race beginning with the Hussar and ending with a 3.5 km long carrier and 3 km long battleship with some 50-60 turrets. And I'd release all ships in a single big file, or maybe learn FRED and make a short campaign featuring them.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!

Oh yeah:

NOW how does it look? :D

Hmmmm, make the edges glow blue and it could be a spaceship for Automan!  :lol: In the show, he had a car and an airplane like that, with blue neon glow FX on all  the edges. (ISTR other vehicles, but I know there was the car and plane.)

It's looking good. Simple, purposeful, un-greebled. Like you're keeping all the hardware under armor rather than hanging it out in the breeze where it's begging to be shot off.
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Nice going for your first model :)

Now I need a name for a race, because 'Wearegoodguysandwehavesimilarshipstothegeeteeveeaybuttheyhaveo rangeglowingstripes' isn't good enough and 'Ancients', 'Vishnans' and 'Vasudans' is already taken...

Yeah, I'm thinking of a whole race beginning with the Hussar and ending with a 3.5 km long carrier and 3 km long battleship with some 50-60 turrets. And I'd release all ships in a single big file, or maybe learn FRED and make a short campaign featuring them.

How about the Merisst?

Also, what naming convention would they be using for their ship classes? (e.g. Shivans = monsters/evil, Terrans = Greek/Norse, Vasudans = Egyptian...)
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Nice going for your first model :)
Thanks.

How about the Merisst?
Google doesn't seem to know that word- what is/are a Merisst? BTW- searching through 1000 year old Polish legends and myths right now hoping to find a good name...
Also, what naming convention would they be using for their ship classes? (e.g. Shivans = monsters/evil, Terrans = Greek/Norse, Vasudans = Egyptian...)
Strike craft from cavalry units, capship classes named after huge castles and weapons after swords, old guns and Medieval artillery.

Edit:
Intensive field testing, which includes shooting down Gorgons:

BTW- how do you like the glows&shines on the Shivans?

BTW v. 2.0- I think the muzzleflash should be brighter, so back to work for me...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 12:03:57 pm by BengalTiger »

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom

Google doesn't seem to know that word- what is/are a Merisst? BTW- searching through 1000 year old Polish legends and myths right now hoping to find a good name...

I completely made it up whilst posting. :P
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Very nice looking, tho the stripes look a bit pixely