Author Topic: Experimental 3D warp effect (fix?)  (Read 6771 times)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Experimental 3D warp effect (fix?)
Hi all,

Please try this new 3D warp effect. This should/may fix the problems with effect elongation and scale the effect the same as the 2D effect.

Download here:

Download removed. Included in release 3.4b

To install:

Uncompress the archive. Drop the file in data/models (create the directory if need be).

To uninstall:

Delete the file.

Feedback is required. Is this effect an improvement? Does it work with all ships? Is it big enough for all ship sizes (ie: particularly tall ships or wide ships) Should it be in 3.4b? Please test before automatically answering yes! There were a lot of complaints about the warp effect in 3.4. If you complained you have a duty to try the new one :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 07:45:57 am by IPAndrews »
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: Experimental 3D warp effect (fix?)
played through Earth-Minbari War using this new patch.

Size looks good, but sometimes the shape is odd (for example Hyperion). It's more like a circle or egg, then the b5 eclipse shaped Jumppoint.
Additionally, the ships still doesn't disappear correctly and parts of them actually pass through the jump-effect, before vanishing. But this was no different before the fix.

EDIT: NOTE TO IP AND HIP:
I think I send you the wrong thread link, it was meant to be
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,50692.20.html
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 02:42:02 pm by Vidmaster »
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I thought it was supposed to be circular. What shape is it meant to be? Can someone capture me a reference picture or something?
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Vidmaster

just look at the Earth-Minbari Intro Cutscene.

Or this

or this

or this

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Redownload and try again. This version is scaled to resemble the 2d effect as closely as possible. Though I'm not sure if that makes it accurate.

Offline Vidmaster

looks neat.  :yes:   also seems to work acceptably, but I will try more ships. Would be nice if others would do  :nervous: that too.

Offline Vidmaster

correction: a little too small for some ships (EA Omega for example) and I guess I would kill the effect for smaller ones, if it would be like +50 to +100 m bigger.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Yes it would be useful if other people contributed. Actually I agree it's too small now. Which means the 2D effect is too small also since it's exactly the same size as that now. I don't know how to resize the 2D effect though.  :nervous: I'll scale the effect back up maybe 25% or 30% (giving a length in m is meaningless as the size of the effect in m is determined by the size of the ship warping in).

There is likely to be a bit of overlapping going on with any particularly tall or wide ships like the Sharlin (tall). This occurs when the effects starts to shrink down. There's nothing I can do about it. In an ideal world warpin speed would be turned on in the tables so the ships clear the effect before it shrinks. But in my experience the warpin speed feature is unstable, and often ends up with ships arriving from hyperspace and heading off into infinity in a straight line. Unless that bug has been fixed now.

Offline Cavane

But in my experience the warpin speed feature is unstable, and often ends up with ships arriving from hyperspace and heading off into infinity in a straight line.

Man, I really want to see that happen now.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
It was quite funny. The first time.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
New version done. Will upload this evening.

Offline den5

Try this version. I hope that it is the correct size, form and texture. The cob file is included in archive so you can correct the size as you want.

http://den5.pochta.ru/warp_v2_part1.7z

http://den5.pochta.ru/warp_v2_part2.7z

Offline Vidmaster

a word of warning to all mission desginers:
recheck all uses of warp effects !

Try this version. I hope that it is the correct size, form and texture. The cob file is included in archive so you can correct the size as you want.

http://den5.pochta.ru/warp_v2_part1.7z

http://den5.pochta.ru/warp_v2_part2.7z

Den, I think the link is dead - but I cant tell for sure as I don't speak russian...

Offline den5

The link is worker. I've just downloaded.