Author Topic: RELEASE - MediaVP 3.6.10 Beta version  (Read 213878 times)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Re: RELEASE - MediaVP 3.6.10 Beta version
just open it with PCS2 RC2D and save it.. should have collision detection then
Oh I think you'll like the new version better. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Noticed another "holey" ship, the apollo. You soot it at the back and the shot passes by the ship. Wonder what happens to the pilot... :lol:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Noticed another "holey" ship, the apollo. You soot it at the back and the shot passes by the ship. Wonder what happens to the pilot... :lol:
Where do you get the Apollo to show its textures?

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
and WTF are all these .tsb's files in mv_assets?

It's new model cache data needed because normal maps. Now each pof generates one ibx and one tsb.

Ask Taylor the full technical explanation.

OTOH PLEASE GUYS IF YOU DETECT A "HOLEY" MODEL OR ANY OTHER BUG, MANTIS IT. IF YOU FIX IT (THROUGH PCS2 OR WHATEVER), UPLOAD THE MODEL. (But if you fix it through PCS2 please wait till the FINAL release is out as Kazan asks in this thread).

(Won't you expect DaBrain to dig THROUGH all the thread looking for comments about bugs? Do you?)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:40:40 am by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
From FSU Internal:

List of broken ships:

Aten (Nearly finished the rebuild)
Ravana (Needs serious ghost busting)
Apollo (Not looked into this yet, but it's reported in the main forum thread that it's ghosting)
Hecate Confirmed collision mesh errors. Moved to problem ships list.
Faustus Confirmed collision mesh errors. Moved to problem ships list.
Sobek Confirmed collision mesh errors. Moved to problem ships list.
Dis Confirmed collision mesh errors. Moved to problem ships list.
SAC3 Confirmed collision mesh errors. Moved to problem ships list.
Zephyrus Confirmed collision mesh errors. Moved to problem ships list. MASSIVE transparency errors as well.

List of possibly broken ships: (ie, stuff that was converted with the pof exporter. Most I think are fine, but I'll check them out.)

Ursa
Pegassus (Slight ghosting on the tip of the nose but otherwise ok)
Amazon
Satis
Anuket
Mara
Ares
Erinyes
Perseus
Mjolnir
Serapis
Medusa

List of incomplete HTL ships that *might* make it into this MVP set:

Iceni (Needs final conversion, lods and debris. Collision wise it's stable except for the big turrets for some bizzare reason)
Meson Bomb (Needs reconversion, lods...but probably not debris. Thoughts?)
Horus (Needs final conversion, lods and debris)
Valkyrie (Needs textures finished, then final conversion lods and debris)
Argo (I got no idea if it's even finished. :\ )

First round of ramming tests done. Most of them are solid.
Second and third round of tests done. Most of the second batch were NOT solid this time. :\

Does anyone have any more info on this stuff?
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Stratcomm fixed the Ravana. I bashed and shot the thing myself, there's only a few minor problems with "depressions" in the hull. I only found one (which was a good 2 months later :nervous: ), but I think it's fine.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Is that fix in the 3.6.10 betavps?

EDIT: Because I have seen shots going through its hull as if it weren't even there.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 10:19:53 am by Koth »
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I don't know. Did the shots do any damage right after they went through the hull?

Nope, apparently it's not.

http://hlpstrat.googlepages.com/capital2s-01.pof

Fixed Ravana.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 10:56:57 am by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
From FSU Internal:

List of broken ships:

Aten (Nearly finished the rebuild)
Ravana (Needs serious ghost busting)
Apollo (Not looked into this yet, but it's reported in the main forum thread that it's ghosting)
Hecate Confirmed collision mesh errors. Moved to problem ships list.
Faustus Confirmed collision mesh errors. Moved to problem ships list.
Sobek Confirmed collision mesh errors. Moved to problem ships list.
Dis Confirmed collision mesh errors. Moved to problem ships list.
SAC3 Confirmed collision mesh errors. Moved to problem ships list.
Zephyrus Confirmed collision mesh errors. Moved to problem ships list. MASSIVE transparency errors as well.

List of possibly broken ships: (ie, stuff that was converted with the pof exporter. Most I think are fine, but I'll check them out.)

Ursa
Pegassus (Slight ghosting on the tip of the nose but otherwise ok)
Amazon
Satis
Anuket
Mara
Ares
Erinyes
Perseus
Mjolnir
Serapis
Medusa

List of incomplete HTL ships that *might* make it into this MVP set:

Iceni (Needs final conversion, lods and debris. Collision wise it's stable except for the big turrets for some bizzare reason)
Meson Bomb (Needs reconversion, lods...but probably not debris. Thoughts?)
Horus (Needs final conversion, lods and debris)
Valkyrie (Needs textures finished, then final conversion lods and debris)
Argo (I got no idea if it's even finished. :\ )

First round of ramming tests done. Most of them are solid.
Second and third round of tests done. Most of the second batch were NOT solid this time. :\

Does anyone have any more info on this stuff?

IIRC Herra Tohtori's complete hi-res Valkyrie textures were posted in a thread in the FSU forum. If not, a copy of them is included in my Twist of Fate demo (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,52021.0.html). If you get them from the TOF demo, please credit Herra Tohtori, not me.

Also, Meson Bomb needs no debris. It's a bomb, and the explosion shockwave would certainly annihilate any remaining debris.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I'll check up on the Ravana when I get home - but if it's as you say it will still need a reconversion. Any hole at all in a capship is a big problem. ;)

The Valkyrie textures aren't a problem - I'm redrawing them completely for the HTL version. :)
Twisted Infinities

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
The Valkyrie textures aren't a problem - I'm redrawing them completely for the HTL version. :)

Hooray, no more paper Valkyrie! :lol:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I'll check up on the Ravana when I get home - but if it's as you say it will still need a reconversion. Any hole at all in a capship is a big problem. ;)

Does this HTL Valkyrie use the pieces from the HTL Uglies?

(I'd love a matching GTF Angel, but it would probably never happen)
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Excellent - Stratcomms version appears to work fine. :D

Does this HTL Valkyrie use the pieces from the HTL Uglies?

(I'd love a matching GTF Angel, but it would probably never happen)
Yes and possibly - an angel won't happen any time soon though.
Twisted Infinities

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
The ''VAsSingleEngine'' texture for the Typhon is missing.
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Nx

I have no idea why only those turrets have problems. The only difference between the small multiparts and the big multiparts is that the big ones don't have the bottom polygons and are not STL correct. But the octagonals, which don't have those polygons either, are also solid, and the big multiparts' barrels are STL correct and they aren't solid. In case I wasn't clear enough
I'll see if making the big multiparts STL correct helps, but I doubt it. So unless someone with more knowledge of the engine's collision detection code figures this one out, I can't fix it.
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
A reconversion should take care of that if just a resave in PCS2 doesn't - the lack of back faces isn't a problem for collision detection as long as the face normals are pointed the right way.

Anyway, if you want I can complete the Iceni in terms of lods, debris and POF data? Or do you want to do it yourself? :)
Twisted Infinities

Offline Slime

• Mucous-y
Whoa, nice job with the MVPs. Ever since I bought a widescreen monitor I've left the scene for a while (for obvious reasons...), but with this release I forced myself to use a 4:3 with full anistrophic. It's not that much worse, especially with these effects. The only problems I've encountered are the already-reported missing beamglows (not that big of a deal, using old ones for now) and slight pauses when loading new effects with a 8800 GT (I've had this a few times earlier, depends on the build it seems). I've already fallen in love with the shivan shield effects...

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
btw what is with the engine glows being missing?
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
btw what is with the engine glows being missing?
Are you using latest Taylor's XT builds?

If the answer is yes, you are seeing a bug. (But in F3 lab you DO see the thrusters...)

This bug seems triggered by the
Code: [Select]
$ThrustAnims:
+Pri_Normal:            <none>
+Pri_Afterburn:         <none>
entries in mv_effects-sdf.tbm which just should disable the original polied thrusters. But the game doesn't like <none> because of some reason.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Slime

• Mucous-y
By the way, what's the filename for the blue anti-fighter beamglow (for terrans and vasudans)? As I said, I'm overriding the ones not working with older versions until DaBrain or someone gets a fix going.