Author Topic: another space simulator  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
another space simulator
i was looking into x-plane site to check out the flight sim and i found this:

http://www.x-plane.com/SpaceCombat.html

its a free space simulator with full newtonian physics. its not as good as orbiter is but it does have a few interesting features. a thing that lets you build your own spacecraft from some basic primitives. the cool part is you can also define thrusters, engines, and fuel tanks, tweak the center of gravity, etc, and the physics are adjusted accordingly. you can play around with various theoretical propulsion systems, things like nuclear and ion drives. the fun part is configuring your ship and seeing how it operates under your own engine configuration. theres really not much to do in the sim, you can chase comets and fly through asteroid fields. theres some courses you have to navigate through. the ships have weapons, but theres really nothing to shoot at. i spent about 6 hours ****ing with the thing. its pretty cool if you are a physics nut.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: another space simulator
Ok, I'll give it a try. Thanks! :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Dysko

I already tried Space Combat a lot of time ago... Actually, I didn't find it quite interesting. My spacecraft (the smallest one, I think it was the Hornet) continued spinning in a weird way, and I couldn't stop that... a "kill rotation" command like Orbiter would have been useful. And the stability adjustment almost always prevented me from turning...
Anyway, I downloaded lots of addons for that space sim. You can find them in the Space Combat section at X-Plane.org.

but theres really nothing to shoot at
From this I assume you didn't try to put 7 Hornets for the enemy side :P Oh, the message displayed when you blow up is quite funny :lol:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think the game has stabilizers but none of the ships have them set by default. you have to make a cystom ship and enable those features, i think.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN