Author Topic: Test Release with better Free Look/TrackIR capabilities  (Read 9714 times)

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Test Release with better Free Look/TrackIR capabilities
(Releasing here since I'm not a SCP member)

Tired of holding down Pad0 and using your precious flight controls in order to turn your virtual neck around? Introducing the latest and greatest in viewing angle changing technology! A toggle to enable Free Look (Pad0) and use separate control bindings to control your neck! (Limited yaw boundaries of -120 and 120 degrees implemented to prevent whiplash).

Disclaimers:
- TrackIR support will only work with the developer's SDK (Which only BTRL members who signed the NDA have access to) until NaturalPoint approves of this implementation. Therefore, no one can try out the TrackIR feature yet. Nonetheless, everybody should try out the better free look support using a joystick hat or the arrow keys.
- For some odd reason, whenever I ran this executable when playing vanilla FS2, it displays screwed up textures. It didn't seem to be a problem in BTRL though.
- BUG: The reticle will follow the player's ship in top down viewing mode.
- Free Look doesn't work too well with custom gauges.
- This may be related to the above but in BTRL the Glide indicator doesn't follow the speed readout.

The payload:
Included in the attached ZIP is the FS2 exe. Put fs2_open_r_freelook.exe in your Freespace2 folder. Point your launcher to it and run it. Before you get into a mission, remember to go to the Options screen and assign keys or buttons to the four new commands I added; it will be in the bottom of the Misc tab. When playing a mission, if you need to look around, simply press "Pad0" or whatever key you assigned "Free Look View" to and use the new commands to look around. You will still have flight control. In order to center your view back to normal, press "Pad0" again to turn off Free Look.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OL3FCP5O

Videos if you still don't know what I'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD1pBrC7LIo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlHpFLmw1q4

I'll share the source changes I made sometime soon.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Test Release with better Free Look/TrackIR capabilities
is that exe based off head or the stable branch?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Inquisitor

- TrackIR support will only work with the developer's SDK (Which only BTRL members who signed the NDA have access to) until NaturalPoint approves of this implementation. Therefore, no one can try out the TrackIR feature yet. Nonetheless, everybody should try out the better free look support using a joystick hat or the arrow keys.

I think I actually have that still from when we were working with them for Lore....

Neat.
No signature.

That would be soooo awesome with the cockpit shown :yes:
And if you had a headset with a mic it adds to the experiance :D
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Swifty

is that exe based off head or the stable branch?
It's based off of head. Well, the most recent version of it from the 4th of January. :P

I think I actually have that still from when we were working with them for Lore....

Neat.
In that case, I guess I'll post the DLL anyway for the people privileged enough with the NaturalPoint developer's SDK. :P

That would be soooo awesome with the cockpit shown
You couldn't have asked for better timing thanks to WMC's recent build. I think this will complement the 3D cockpits that are currently in the pipeline very well. :D

yaaay!
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Don't have the money to buy the prop, but I drool anyway :D

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
VERY nice!  I look forward to seeing the code!

You even got it to play nice with the HUD.  Very cool.

Hey, you know there's a control, Track Targeted Object, which is in the control list but never been implemented?  do_view_track_target in PlayerControl.  Any chance you could implement this? ;)

Offline Swifty

Yeah, I saw the stubs. I think I will work on that next.

BTW, a diff of my changes are in the SCP Internal. It would be nice if someone reviewed and commited them, hint hint :D

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
how long till you figure it will be till you can release the trackir dll?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Swifty

Err, now if you'd like. It's just that it's useless without the TrackIR developer's SDK right now. NaturalPoint won't be approving our developer ID until BTRL's next public release/patch.

Video of Swifty's code in action with Viper cockpit model WIP.

http://www.stage6.com/user/Omniscaper/video/2125018/

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
damn impressive. i was wondering if interior glass would look good or not. you get that much desired screen glare. might want to tone down env and shine maps though. id like to see this work with my experimental rtt panels that ive been working on. then you would have some serious simmage :D give me a minute and il post a vid (or rather a few hours due to bugs :D ).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 03:59:14 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uFrJlSyXO4

its sorta hard to see the panel without enlarging the display. im working on retrofitting my other cockpits with panel support. i figure it will be some time before we see builds with fixed rtt, updated scripting, this trackir support thing and the new cockpit system, in the same build.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 06:42:55 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Very impressive Nuke. :yes:
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline n0s

• happy to have FS2O
wow, this is really very impressiv!
the trackIR (maybe even freetrack ;) ) and the new features added by nuke. :eek:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
give some credit to bobboau as well, he compiled a build with working, scriptable rtt. i just slapped together some panels and modded em into a ship.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Swifty

Padlock target tracking now works. People without a TrackIR could greatly benefit from this.

its sorta hard to see the panel without enlarging the display. im working on retrofitting my other cockpits with panel support. i figure it will be some time before we see builds with fixed rtt, updated scripting, this trackir support thing and the new cockpit system, in the same build.
God, I love those kittens on the display. Would be a nice practical joke to pull on a pilot flying a F-16 Falcon. He's trying to get to his Stores page and instead he gets a picture of kittens rendered in four colors.

I just ordered a TrackIR for this. They're on "sale" at Newegg right now. TIR4 Ultra - $179 + free ship.

Thanks for doing this stuff guys. I can't wait for the un-NDA'ed version!

Offline CKid

Padlock target tracking now works. People without a TrackIR could greatly benefit from this.

Nice! I always flew with the padlock target tracking on in CFS3.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong