Author Topic: Team Slayer  (Read 1134 times)

Well, I'm working on my own mod and I really don't like the idea of having D variants of all the ships just to balance them. It seems like a waste of tbl space because your not really flying the ship you wanted to anymore. It's some dumbed down, evened out version. I feel that having ships and weapons perform differently in single and multiplayer is counter-intuitive so I came up with an alternate balance system. Keep in mind this only applies to deathmatches, I have a well working system for objective games. My idea was that everyone would get 99 respawns and that in order to win you would need to hit the point limit and you score points by killing other players. Like a halo slayer game. The balance comes in when I assign the different ships point values. If you kill something like a Ulysses you get a piddling little sum of points but if you were to, for example, kill a typhon you would get a lot more thereby making it so that the larger, more powerful ships are balanced out because although you'll die alot less in comparison to how much you kill, you would get less points per kill then they do. Sounds great in theory but FREDing it is a nightmare. The event chains are soooo complicated. So now I come here and ask you: is there any way to acheive this without killing myself at my keyboard?
"I only miss what I don't hit."
Show me something that beats 87 BF reds and I'll show you Hateful Lies!!!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Are you using FS2_Open or retail?

Cause I'd imagine that a ship-score SEXP would allow you to do this with only one Event. And although I've not looked at the code I can't imagine it being that hard for me to write a SEXP that simply outputs the score of a ship.

EDIT : Looked at the code quickly. I could use the code from the num-kills SEXP. Looks like a 1 line difference. The drawback/advantage of using score is that you have to use the $Score values in the ships.tbl for each ship.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 04:05:46 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]