Author Topic: The only 3 races in the universe . . .  (Read 11816 times)

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Re: The only 3 races in the universe . . .
I also think that all those Iceni mishaps were part of a plan to get ETAK.

Yeah that's pretty obvious.

Really? Who woulda thunk it?
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The Largest Earth Nukes today are 50 times less potent than a single Harbinger.  You could fire every single earth nuke at an Orion and barely scratch it.

Really.  Where do you get this number from?

Harbinger tech description saying it's 5000Mt, and the fact that the Tsar Bomba was 100Mt.

I honestly stopped paying attention to any techincal numbers in various Sci-Fi universes...as usual, people making the universe up pull up numbers from their a**, using numbers that sound "cool", without actually checking them out if they work (simple math...SIMPLE MATH!). Therefore, any canon damage/power output number (be it FS or SW or ST) means as much to me as does the dirt beneath my fingernails...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Kie99

It's called fiction Trashman.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
The Largest Earth Nukes today are 50 times less potent than a single Harbinger.  You could fire every single earth nuke at an Orion and barely scratch it.

Harbinger tech description saying it's 5000Mt, and the fact that the Tsar Bomba was 100Mt.

I honestly stopped paying attention to any techincal numbers in various Sci-Fi universes...as usual, people making the universe up pull up numbers from their a**, using numbers that sound "cool", without actually checking them out if they work (simple math...SIMPLE MATH!). Therefore, any canon damage/power output number (be it FS or SW or ST) means as much to me as does the dirt beneath my fingernails...
But thing's don't scale up quite like you'd think they do. I'd guess that the blast, while causing heavy damage at the point of impact, will dissipate.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It's called fiction Trashman.

Which still doesn't justifiy internal inconsistencies or conflicts or "crimes against common sense".

But thing's don't scale up quite like you'd think they do. I'd guess that the blast, while causing heavy damage at the point of impact, will dissipate.

Yes, I'm quite aware of that for bombs/torps. Like I said, all that is needed is some basic knowledge of physics and some basic maths...but 99% of sci-fi authors are too lazy to check what they are writing.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Which still doesn't justifiy internal inconsistencies or conflicts or "crimes against common sense".
I think it does, actually, especially when it comes to something as irrelevant as this. Science is nice and everything, but a good story is always more important than being accurate about the number of kilotons a bomb should have.

Really, if you're a stickler for good science, there's many far more glaring things about Freespace than that. It's soft SF - it's not supposed to be about that stuff.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Depends what it is..Sci-Fi is not pure science so taking liberties with some technologies is not something I really mind.

What I mind is when the writers contradict themselves.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
GTVA needs to be careful exploring for life out there.

One of their ships might accidentally pick up: Xenomorphs, Crites, or even Space herpes...

Brought back to a GTVA planet they are screwed... :)
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Partially seconded. Some power specifications in the SW universe are so overly ridiculous. What happened with the times SW was all about fun instead of number crunching :sigh:
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline Kie99

Partially seconded. Some power specifications in the SW universe are so overly ridiculous. What happened with the times SW was all about fun instead of number crunching :sigh:

It still is about fun if you want it to be.  The extremely large numbers are there so that certain people can go to Star Trek fans and go "Ha ha, the death star would murder the enterprise."   You can ignore them if you like.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Nuclear1

I want uber cybernetic wolves.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

With near fusion density, iridium-veridium compound claws.
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Cybernetic wolves? WAR KITTENS!

http://io9.com/357675/evil-outer-space-dictators-just-want-kittens

(Actually, that was somewhat less entertaining than I remembered it being, but, uh, yes, there is the link.)

Anyway, I imagine that if we ever do achieve space travel those sad little yield numbers will seem stupendously naive. That said, they're pure fantasy -- this isn't hard SF. It's not a big deal to me, at least, but I can understand the desire for rigor.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 01:38:42 pm by General Battuta »

I think those MT indications are ridiculous, and that's probably why they omitted them in FS2. I calculated the power needed to detonate a Sathanas, using the 5000MT of the Harbinger bomb, and came to -IIRC- 1 500 000 megatons, far more than ever produced on Earth. (A supernova is estimated at 1028 megatons, so don't care about that :D) A Subach would surpass the Hiroshima bomb five times per second.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Yeah, that'd dumb...
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years