Author Topic: geforce FX problems?  (Read 5158 times)

'Fighting chunks?' Have you made sure you've got the detail settings in options actually turned up?  ;7

Offline starlord

Yeah, to max! But I'm gonna change comps soon (1Ghz under win 98), normally with a bit of luck the problem will disappear.

Offline starlord

I got it: It's a geforce 4 MX 440 PCI with AGP8x

Also, I'm using forceware 81.98 for win9x

Any ideas/help?

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I had one of those, it worked fine but I couldn't use the MediaVps without huge framerate drops. How much memory does it have? The problem with Geforce MX cards are they are the lowest of the low-end cards Nvidia ever made!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline starlord

Well I suppose memory is sufficient for freespace as Iwar2 and aquanox work flawlessly!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Don't make the mistake of comparing FS2_Retail and FS2_Open system requirements as if they were the same thing. FS2_Open has requirements much closer to a modern game than Retail does.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline starlord

Yes, indeed: Once again, I use freespace, silent threat, and freespace 2 RETAIL.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I got it: It's a geforce 4 MX 440 PCI with AGP8x

Also, I'm using forceware 81.98 for win9x

Any ideas/help?

PCI with AGP 8X, eh?  :p  Eh, it's either PCI or AGP.. most likely, AGP, but who knows.  is it integrated, or an actual add-on video card?  If it's integrated, it takes from your normal system memory for it's video memory (ie, if you have 1GB memory, it will take maybe 128MB of it for video memory, leaving you with 896 MB of system memory... not bad, but if you only have 256 MB in the first place...)

Offline starlord

Thanks for the reply. No, the card is not intergrated (actually, my intergrated card worked well with FS, but I thought I might make a few more things work with a geforce).

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
What's your integrated?  You might wanna switch back if it's powerful enough.  But, for around $60, you can get a ATI X1650 512MB card  ;7

Offline starlord

I don't know, a custom thing signed microsoft labs which gave me problems with certain games (although FS was fine on it).

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Ah... find the IGP (Integrated) manufacturer's site, and get the drivers from there.  It's the same as with an add-on GFX card - don't use the M$ drivers, use the manufacturer's drivers.  M$ drivers suck, as they are designed to make the hardware work in any situation at all costs, so performance gets trashed for compatibility... but to be compatible with games, you need performance.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You've configured in the launcher correctly too? (yes for retail ;) )
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png