Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 39737 times)

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Huh. Apparently, when born on stairs, children fall to their deaths.
Haha. Oh, Dwarf Fortress. You so horrifying.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Two new and completely unrelated discoveries.

1. Digging a hole in the side of a volcano causes the uppermost layer to flip out (I'm talking way beyond standard movement rates).

2. When assailed by lava, dwarves bleed to death.

Offline Shade

Wow, new version just as I start to have some free time again. This'll be fun :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Shade

Wow. Been playing around with this a little here and a little there for a while now and I'm amazed. Mostly at how downright evil version 0.31.0X now is :p In the old version, I pretty much never lost a fort, but now? Now I'm lucky to survive just a few years unless I just wall myself in and never dig deeper than a few levels below the surface. It's a great change :D Still too buggy to be as much sheer fun as the old version though, but once that's worked out, it'll be epic.

Also, once that happens and we have a version which is evil yet plays fair, us DF players here on HLP totally need to finally run a succession game :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I still can't stand that farming is busted.  I tend to play on maps without water, and, well, starvation is rampant.

Offline Shade

Yeah, there are definitely issues still. Some enemies being literally unkillable would be another big one. But once the major bugs are taken care of this'll be the best version ever :)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
i tried to start getting into DF with the latest version... i was staring at the screen for a few minutes before getting pissed off and closing the game and deleting it.

Got a starter "pack" version that came together with a pwetty little pre-built non-dangerous world. Still playing it and i hate myself for enjoying the game that much :D
But its awesome still :)
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Found my first crash bug: setting creature extracts to a stockpile (if they're in the underground areas, I'm assuming) without having access to said creatures causes a pathfind loop buffer overrun thingamajig.

::EDIT::

New discovery, rivers are pressurized.  :ick:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:26:58 pm by BloodEagle »

That's no river; that's an artesian well!
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Holy ****! Blood is magical, now!

An alligator infiltrated my base, and got killed next to the well(s) (incidentally, my well is now manually pumped since the river is pressurized, and nothing seems to be able to stop the water from flooding everything in my fortress. :/), where its blood spread into the water.  The blood then proceeded to grow throughout the entire four levels of water tunnels, where it eventually made its way to the surface.

The other civilizations are cowering in fear as the unstoppable blood seeps towards them.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
http://www.nzfortress.co.nz/forum/showthread.php?t=20768

:lol:

----

In other news: My new Mayor has mandated that "No longer shall our mighty trumpets go heard in the halls of humans or hippies elves!"

I'm somewhat disturbed.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
God... Everyone totes that dwarves are so easy to kill. After getting pissed off with a castle of mine, i decided to dump copious amount of water in it.

headcount before flood 50.
headcount after a year after the flood has started, 28 and going strong.

*looks at river*

WHERE'S ALL THE WATER GONE?!?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
God... Everyone totes that dwarves are so easy to kill. After getting pissed off with a castle of mine, i decided to dump copious amount of water in it.

headcount before flood 50.
headcount after a year after the flood has started, 28 and going strong.

*looks at river*

WHERE'S ALL THE WATER GONE?!?

Heh. Mine refills itself.  :P

--

Basic dwarves are pretty weak, though.  I had a squad of six iron-armored and shortsword wielding rookies get massacred by four goblin lashers in cloth.

I guess I should have discovered that they don't train themselves anymore a tad bit sooner. :/

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Ba-dum-bum-:bump:

---------------------------
Little bit-o'-awesome: My unprocessed fish stockpile (which is right next to my entrance) had a one-tile hole in it (not sure why, must have been something there when I designated it). And, rather than redesignate it, I decided to drop a random statue in the hole, for style points and whatnot.

Quote from: Statue Description
*siltstone statue of dwarves*
This is a superior quality siltstone statue of dwarves.
The item is a superiorly designed image of dwarves in siltstone by Kikrost Rigothonam. The dwarves are laboring. The artwork relates to the foundation of Knifepulleys by The Cavernous Boat of The Frosty Guilds in the early spring of 1051.

I love when random stuff looks like it happened on purpose.  :D

---------------------------
Side-note: I really like the aesthetic quality that I'm putting into this fort.  I'll upload a video of stonesense when the main features are finished, and when I find a replacement for PhotoBucket (may they burn in eternal Hellfire).

======================================================================

Three ambushes at the exact same time.  Didn't help that my workers wouldn't go near the switches to raise/lower the bridges (I'm going to move those underground).  Didn't help that, after the goblins started chasing a lone coward of a stonecrafter, when I lowered the bridge to let a few survivors in, that my entire population decided to run off of the island and towards the edge of the map (I really miss the 'don't go outside, dumbasses' order, as burrows seem to be really buggy when mixed).

I lost eleven soldiers, five of whom were trained and six of whom weren't supposed to be outside, and my fortress-guard-commander-guy, who decided to charge three archers, one master swordsgoblin, and several lashers, before the nine dwarves under his command joined him.

Damn, those goblins must have been led by a freaking legendary organizer/lier. :/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 07:00:18 pm by BloodEagle »

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
found a great place for a new fort.  There's a canyon where a river has cut through a plateau, and a waterfall where another river joins it.  My fort's entrance is on the low area to the west, which tunnels through the first part of the plateau, then the fort is accessed by a drawbridge that lowers across the canyon.  I can also divert part of the flow from the high elevation river into my farming chamber (farming must be done on mud now), which then drains to the side of the waterfall, creating a temporary 2nd waterfall.  I also built a walkway in front of the waterfall and made it a statue garden, so dwarfs can relax in the cooling mist, while getting outside to avoid cave adaptation.

Now, to dig deep and find metals and magma and turn it from a secure location into a Dwarfy location.

After my test.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I would highly recommend backing up your file, and finding the underground cavern before you start anything else.

I wasted three entire hours mapping out a complex refuse storage system, only to run into the ten-story-high monster of a cavern ten tiles in at the highest point of my system.

-----

By the way, I scrapped my last fortress. Something was buggy, and the goblins never stopped showing up.

Oh, and if anyone knows whether or not outdoor trees will grow inside artificial structures, please let me know. I have a really interesting idea.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:45:00 pm by BloodEagle »

Offline Shade

I seem to recall a tree once growing up to block a passage inside a defensive curtain wall. It was most annoying as a siege happened not much later and I had to get that damn tree cut down before I could man (well... dwarf) the battlements :p That wasn't in the current version though.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I guess I'll just test it over a patch of land. :/

----------------------------------

Oh, and it's funny when one of your dwarves suddenly dies with absolutely no warning:

Quote from: Combat Report
The Alligator bites The Butcher in the right lower leg, but the attack is deflected by The Butcher's (giant cave spider silk trousers)!
The Alligator bites The Butcher in the head, denting the skin!
The Alligator latches on firmly!
The Alligator shakes The Butcher around by the head!
The head is ripped away and remains in The Alligator's grip!
Adil Vucarcubor, Butcher has been struck down.

In all fairness, you shouldn't shoot an alligator in the ass. :/

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
The new version is out as a pre-release:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57492.0

Important changes:

• You shouldn't melt in rain anymore.
  • Vermin should disappear after ca. one month.
  • Suturing should be working properly, now.
  • New OpenGL codebase should increase FPS for some (most) users.

I think I'll wait on the next one, though.