Author Topic: server + gameplay+ cheese and onion crisps  (Read 1689 times)

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
server + gameplay+ cheese and onion crisps
just a dumb question really but having no idea myself and wondering about it , so ill ask.......

how big does a dedicated server need to be ? id say at the moment we could by a freak of orginization get maybe  ppl online together at one time.............

and is it possible to play a mission where say its a shivans vs the rest where  team play shivans etc , but still in the gameplay of a mission with only capships etc on AI........

if these questions are too stupid .... slap me u never know u might enjoy it .....

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: server + gameplay+ cheese and onion crisps
I've got a P3-866 that works just fine as a dedicated server.  The problem is standalone servers don't work yet.  The fixes I've tested that are in 3.6.10 seem to work just fine but 3.6.10 builds will not work with FS2NetD at this time.  As soon as 3.6.10 comes out I will be putting up 2 standalones.

Forgot to add that the 866 will probably not be used as one.  I have new systems that will be used for that.  Not that the old 866 can't handle it but it's still running Win ME.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:10:47 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
cool , thats great to hear,  :D

i was wondeing though what sort of bandwidth up/down the server would need , and where a good location would be (ping issues) would we need an european one and a US one linked together ?

if im talking **** please slap me

and is it possible to play a mission where, say its a shivans vs the rest where  team 1 play shivans etc and team 2 play the others , but still in the gameplay of a mission with only capships etc on AI.......

id still love to know the answer for this, in my mind its not a tvt more u choose what side u want to play.........
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Well all I can tell you is what I remember from retail back in the PXO days.  I was running dual ISDN then which was 128k/128k.  I could easily host 6 and sometimes 7 but not 8.  I don't know what's been done to the code since then but under that assumption anyone with a good 256k up connection should be able to host 12 easily.  Where the servers are located will matter because of the ping.  Remember though that when FS2 came out if you had a ping of under 300 you had a great connect.  Under 200 was awesome, and under 100 was almost unheard of.  The only people that will really need to use standalone servers once things pick back up are those that can't host on their own for some reason.  Anyone else should be able to find a game or create one on their own.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras