Author Topic: Landing Gear?  (Read 14308 times)

'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
It allows for radiation to pass through it, from space isn't that dangerous?
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Only slightly off-topic :nervous:: the Aquitaine has this observation-deck-like window at the top of the main screen. Has anyone ever found that on the outside of the ship? Otherwise, it could be FUBAR's one-way transparent aluminum which is used on the Bastion as well as on other Terran capships.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
There are lots of windows on the Aquitaine. It could be anywhere.

*checks thread title*

Have we gone off-topic?

Just to steer it back on course, well sort of... any ideas about what the keel or fin-like thing underneath most terran fighters is for? Is that an aid for docking with those platforms, or something housing sensors? Or does it make a ship more stable in atmospheric flight? It's a common thing seen on the terran designs.

Come to think of it, the Ulysses doesn't have one, nor the Apollo or most of the bombers. How does a Ulysses "land"? On it's wingtips I suppose, but it could have retractable skids or an undercarriage.

Wings. And. Stabilizers. Are. ONLY. FOR. AESTHETIC. REASONS. BTW, I haven't ever seen or heard of a atmospheric operation (Except various evacuations).
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
*checks thread title*

Have we gone off-topic?

Just to steer it back on course, well sort of... any ideas about what the keel or fin-like thing underneath most terran fighters is for? Is that an aid for docking with those platforms, or something housing sensors? Or does it make a ship more stable in atmospheric flight? It's a common thing seen on the terran designs.

Come to think of it, the Ulysses doesn't have one, nor the Apollo or most of the bombers. How does a Ulysses "land"? On it's wingtips I suppose, but it could have retractable skids or an undercarriage.

The ships of Fs1 are boxy design until freeSpace 2 comes around.  They are more sleek and the little fins come after the study of Shivan tech. Don't remember where I got that last part from.  I think wiki or tech room
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Wings. And. Stabilizers. Are. ONLY. FOR. AESTHETIC. REASONS. BTW, I haven't ever seen or heard of a atmospheric operation (Except various evacuations).

Yeah, FS has always been more style over substance when it comes to spacecraft design.

I remember someone here posting a thread about a technical manual for the Herc mk2 and the Ares, but it's mostly in Japanese and I don't know if it could shed any light as to the question of atmospheric flight capability of the terran craft. Besides as far as I can tell it's totally not "canon" material. Managed to find the link to it, here it is for those interested.

http://www3.osk.3web.ne.jp/~yonehara/gtva1.zip

Anyone know any kanji/Japanese script? I tried running it through a translation website but didn't get very far as it didn't seem to handle differences in syntax that well.

Oh and I found this on the Ulysses, might make a nice wallpaper: http://www3.osk.3web.ne.jp/~yonehara/exp/exp2.htm

I wonder if the author of this stuff hangs out here.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Something about the general shape of that Ulysses doesn't look ... quite right.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
*checks thread title*

Have we gone off-topic?

The ships of Fs1 are boxy design until freeSpace 2 comes around.  They are more sleek and the little fins come after the study of Shivan tech. Don't remember where I got that last part from.  I think wiki or tech room

its only fair to note that at the time of fs1, boxy models were common in games, mainly because the speed wasnt there to render more curvy designs (not to mention 3d acceleration back then was not standard equipment). had the graphics technology been available, then the ships would have been much more sleek in nature, more akin to what fs2 had.

another analogy was between ww1 and ww2. fs1 was more like ww1, planes were boxy, underpowered, not so well armed, and very fragile and not much of a defense existed on the ground or aboard ships.  fs2 is like ww2, not only are the ships faster, better armed, armored, and much more durable (due to improved shields). also the defense against fighters and bombers increased (beams, flak).

you can either use the analogy to explain the differences in fs1 and fs2, or you can use the hard fact that the 3d technology wasn't yet capable and that streamlined ships weren't yet possible.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Not to mention 'boxy' ships are industrially seen much easier to produce. Sleek ships are maybe also a product of increased industrial capabilities.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Probably for aesthetic value, and the fact that wings always make such a nice way of providing somewhere to put the guns. Humans don't like to let go of an idea once it is ingrained, even now the B-Wing fighter looks a little bit 'odd' because it is asymmetrical and 'lop sided' to our perception, it's a perfectly functional shape for space-flight, but we tend to refer back to the concept that anything that flies should resemble a bird.

If you think in Newtonian terms, wings provide a very nice place to put RCS thrusters because the wings provide additional leverage to turn the ship faster.

As for asymmetrical designs, they have huge problems in Newtonian physics for the most part. For a ship to really fly straight, the thrust must be lined up with the center of mass.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i was messing around with that torque idea in space combat, trying to find an optimal thruster configuration. i found that stubby wings made the best thruster mounts. a starfury type configuration worked the best. other configs i tested included various 2, 3 and 4 winged designs as well as a couple wingless ones. the wingless designs (like the default hornet ship that comes with space combat) seemed more sluggish on axes where the trusters were clustered twards the center. extremely long wings seem to also be an impediment (mainly because of added wing mass). at some point along the wing there will just be more leverage than is needed, where you just end up wasting more rcs fuel. there seems to be an optimal point where the torque is just right. figure out the width of 75% of the ships mass on each plane (the area where the bulk of the ship is laied out). then put your thrusters about at 1.5-2 times that diameter. thats a rough approximation of the best place to mount the thrusters. though there is probibly some more accurate calculation on the subject.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Well, if you look at the Starfury, of course you have a maneuverable design, but it's ugly as hell.
For me, still Design > Utility.

Just remembered something. Anyone recall the start of that first nebula mission in FS2 where you kind of lift off from the upper hull of the Aquitaine? Anyone got any ideas why that would be? Seems at odds with launching from the fighterbay underneath the destroyer, maybe it was just an assembly point, or rapid deployment point on the ships exterior. Not sure the Hercs were in contact with the Hecate's hull at the start though.

Personally I like the way the Starfury (and the Thunderbolt) looks.

It's probably an assembly point. Launching 16 fighters at once isn't easy, so I guess we are launched by two or three (or even one by one, if they aren't in a hurry) and gather there to leave on patrol.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
they might have been strapped to the hull before the Aquitaine jumped into the nebula, so that in the event of being surrounded by shivans upon coming out of subspace, they would be ready.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
they might have been strapped to the hull before the Aquitaine jumped into the nebula, so that in the event of being surrounded by shivans upon coming out of subspace, they would be ready.

I doubt it.  It just doesn't seem like something they would do.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
It's something I would do...
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

It's something Command would do...