Author Topic: Horrific Stutters  (Read 2026 times)

I have a weird pausing problem. My framerates are fine but the first thing anything loads I have horrible stuttering.

My specs:

Core 2 Duo T5450
2Gb RAM
Geforce 8600M GS using 169.09 drivers
Vista Home Premium

Also I can't see engine glows on larger ships in this build.

My command line is D:\Games\FreeSpace 2\fs2_open_C02182008.exe -mod mediavps -spec -glow -env -mipmap -no_vsync -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -orbradar -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload  -ambient_factor 90

I installed using Turey's installer, and I have the latest media vps except adveffects as provided by the installer.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Are you using the 3.6.10 .VPs? The 3.6.10 .EXEs? You must use the 3.6.10 .VPs with the 3.6.10 .EXE, and the 3.6.8z .VPs with the 3.6.9 .EXEs.

On a side note, your PC will run the AdVPs, or should.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Another note: the 169.xx nVidia drivers are known to have problems with OpenGL. You might consider using some slightly older drivers.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

OK newer drivers have actually pretty much sorted the stuttering. However I still can't see engine glows on larger ships and the ones on smaller ships look odd. Any help? I have the 3.6.10 VPs and I've gone back to 167 series drivers and it hasn't helped (on 174 series now).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 03:47:22 pm by SuperCoolAl »

OK shivan and vasudan beamglows don't render for me. Terran beamglows are fine (and look great).

I think the Shivan beamglows is the fault of the 3.6.10's (they are betas after all). Don't know about the Vasudans, though. :doubt:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Actually I just played the FS2Demo (which has mediavps as a secondary mod) and engine glows and beamglows were there :S

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Both XT builds and 3.6.10 mediavps are still work in progress (ie WIP) stuff. If you want something stable stick with older mediavps and stable branch builds (not XT builds).
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

I think my problem is symptomatic of using a bleeding-edge build as after the first mission I play in a Windows session everything is smooth as silk.