Author Topic: Orbital Bombardment  (Read 11327 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
The it's a game argument bites arse i know. Who's to say that the gta didn't discover a super element, i thought our nukes used uranium and beryllium? That's moot anyway. 300 years is a long time to refine tools of war, 100 years ago it took 3 months by boat to get to africa.

:yes:

Impossible Is NothingTM
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
The problem is that there aren't a lot of new elements left to discover and most of them decay in a few milliseconds anyway. Even if there is a super heavy element which could produce more energy it could only undergo nuclear fission not fusion.

(I am aware of the ''it's a game'' problematic, I just want to prevent people from starting pointlessly heated debates about completely unrealistic data which lead nowhere, and maybe to a locked thread in the end. But feel free to continue the discusion, just don't die over those contradictions)   

The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Solatar

I think the 5000 megatons was probably just technobabble. What I got from the tech description was that it was a really, really, really badass bomb.

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Which is the most important thing considering it is a game.
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Maybe they develop a new process then :) who's to know. I just had a thought. Perhaps the 5000 is the total for the six bombs each craft was limited to, which makes me wonder why the gta didn't just hardwire a support ship to remote detonate with a full payload of say, 30. Regarding troop delivery, i reckon the gta may have some repulsor style anti g system to allow argo's to enter atmosphere. :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Just noticed this bit...

Quote from: Tech entry
most effective when used in preemptive defensive strike against non-military installations.

So this weapon is most effective when used against civilians before the war... On the other hand... what weapon wouldn't be...
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Passive resistance :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
When talking about planetary bombardments torpedoes are usually overestimated because of the blast radius.

These bombs are actually usually underestimated because of their blast radius. Get a harbinger in atmosphere and you'll have one hell of a bigger explosion.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Solatar

Not to mention it's a salted fission warhead, which produces MORE radiation if I'm not mistaken.

They're huge AND designed to create more fallout. I'd hate to have one explode on MY planet.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Not to mention it's a salted fission warhead, which produces MORE radiation if I'm not mistaken.

They're huge AND designed to create more fallout. I'd hate to have one explode on MY planet.
I would hate for one of those bombs in my Ursa to just out of nowhere go *Boom*.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
When talking about planetary bombardments torpedoes are usually overestimated because of the blast radius.

These bombs are actually usually underestimated because of their blast radius. Get a harbinger in atmosphere and you'll have one hell of a bigger explosion.

This kind of topics ends with comments like yours. An important thing: atmospheres aren't all the same...is it going to influence the effectiveness of a planetary bombardment?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Well, since this discussion is under the assumption of attacking earth like atmospheres since that's where we're all getting our atmospheric basing from. Feel super duper proud that you just pulled an idea out of your nether regions because you didn't want to think about how a nuke detonates in atmosphere.

1. a nuke going off in space is just an unleashing of energy, in space you'd probably want focussed charge nukes to be able to do any damage to the heavily armored capships in fs.
2. an atmosphere provides a medium for some nasty shockwaves. Different atmospheres will have different results in the severity of the shockwave. I'm guessing the severity of the shockwave would be judged by atmospheric density and pressure (based on how thick the atmosphere in question is and whether or not that'll be a bigger or smaller shockwave). One thing is sure of all nukes going off in atmosphere. Atmospheres will provide that medium for a shockwave where a vacuum wont provide a medium for such a nasty shockwave.

Thanks for the comment. I guess with average sounding comments like mine and everyone elses that in this thread that you decided to quote mine. Thx for giving me the honor of having the last word and calling me right because by you i "ends this" kind of topics. That's a crowning achievement, but i think you just don't like something. Could you not handle me quoting you in the first place and saying something to the contrary for furthering the topic?

This kind of topics ends with comments like yours. An important thing: atmospheres aren't all the same...is it going to influence the effectiveness of a planetary bombardment?

Somehow this got into panty bunching in some random part of the world where there's evidently panties....and pink.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I don't get the reason behind this particular kind of flaming...

I said that this topic's not the first discussing the subject. The other topics end with the classic "blast radius + atmosphere = annihilation" thing. Where's the problem with that?!?

"Earth like"? Earth's atmosphere changed in the past and habitable planets/satellites aren't al supposed to be Earth-like. We're discussing planetary bombardments in general...the list of targets include planets/satellites that have been colonized, not Terra-Vasuda Prime(home planets). Try to imagine something like the Moon with a very poor atmosphere...I don't think the Harbinger would be that lethal there.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
What Ess Ninety-Nine is saying is that you're trying to "end the topic" in every discussion. Like "You're wrong, I'm right, period," which I must admit, annoys the living **** outta me.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I don't want to end the topic. I want to see more theories and opinions other than "blast radius + atmosphere = annihilation". What I posted above is enough to discuss other aspects of the subject.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
"Earth like"? Earth's atmosphere changed in the past and habitable planets/satellites aren't al supposed to be Earth-like. We're discussing planetary bombardments in general...the list of targets include planets/satellites that have been colonized, not Terra-Vasuda Prime(home planets). Try to imagine something like the Moon with a very poor atmosphere...I don't think the Harbinger would be that lethal there.

I'll just give my list again here from my previous post since i was imagining an explosion in varying atmospheric and no atmospheric conditions

1. a nuke going off in space is just an unleashing of energy, in space you'd probably want focussed charge nukes to be able to do any damage to the heavily armored capships in fs.
2. an atmosphere provides a medium for some nasty shockwaves. Different atmospheres will have different results in the severity of the shockwave. I'm guessing the severity of the shockwave would be judged by atmospheric density and pressure (based on how thick the atmosphere in question is and whether or not that'll be a bigger or smaller shockwave). One thing is sure of all nukes going off in atmosphere. Atmospheres will provide that medium for a shockwave where a vacuum wont provide a medium for such a nasty shockwave.

OK, with that being said a second time, plus the fact that not anyone in this topic was getting into the specifics of atmospheres either in this whole thread. So when anyone talks about atmosphere in here, they're probably talking about something like vasuda primes atmosphere which was very much like earths (considering that humans could survive in their atmosphere which happens in the fs1 ref bible). How do i figure in this topic that everyone was talking about an atmosphere similar to earths? Everyone in the topic was basing off of information known about our own local atmosphere which i assume was happening since no one got into specifics. The only person who got into specifics about this was you mobius, and you don't read minds. It's not a bad turn in subject at all. In fact it's quite a necessary one when talking about orbital bombardment. But the fact remains, no matter what kind of atmosphere there is, a nuke going off inside of it will have a lot bigger shockwave than the a nuke going off in space. And since you didn't want to be wrong you brought in the "well well what about other kinds of atmosphere?".

This led you to the moon. LOL, i mean talk about an obvious ploy here...desperation, perspiration. The moon is a horrible thing to compare with a real atmosphere. The moons atmosphere is so negligible it might as well be just a nuke going off in a vacuum. Now if you want to say like a nuke going off on mars as opposed to earth, then that wouldn't be a ploy, that would actually further the argument. As such, Mars will probably result in a smaller shockwave because mars's atmosphere is a lot thinner.

SMBFD

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Not to mention if there are any sort of elements supporting combustion in an atmosphere, you'll get a fireball in addition to the shockwave.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Or EMP...

Offline Solatar

It all makes me wonder how much other planets are populated. We know Vasuda Prime and Earth are obviously filled with their respective species, but how populated are planets in other systems? It makes me wonder if people outside their home systems live primarily on planets or on installations.

If a planet has very little population and settlement, but it is known that there's a military base on it, it would stand to good reason to launch a couple huge freaking nukes. Make sure you got it.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Weeell... According to GTA doctrine (the harbinger tech entry thing) they would probably just bomb the civilians on the planets where there are no military installations (to maximize weapons effectiveness...).

Actually using nukes when invading a planet or using really hard hitting chemical or biological weapons is generally a very bad idea if your plan was to conquer the planet. That is you probably would like to conquer something else than radioactive and/or toxic wasteland - given that enemies will probably respond in kind that is the most likely ultimate result. Of course if you plan on genocide then it doesn't matter as you probably won't even want to land to the planet in the first place. Tactical (ie. small ones, not things like Harbinger) nukes are different matter though.