Are there any webdevs out there that wish to help come up with a new FS2NetD site for everyone? I don't have the time to do the web site and the code side, so I really need one or more people to step and take care of the design, PHP coding, new artwork, and whatever else ends up being needed.
We have really outgrown what's there and I would like to expand on it quite a bit as well. This will really just be for FS2NetD v.2, from 3.6.10, and the current site content will stay for v.1 and 3.6.9 builds. Once 3.6.10 comes out the servers will get switched around and then the v.2 setup will be primary, so it would be nice to have a new site to go along with that as well.
Suggestions are welcome, if anyone has any requests. My current list of wants for the site goes something like this:
- More visually open design. The current site is really cramped. Simply something that makes full use of the browser window would be a good start.
- Better mod support. The current mod support is nice, but it would be even better if it had an entirely different setup that allowed you to easily see what games are running where.
- Improved active game reporting. We need more info about the active games. This will include such things as: rank setting when in above/below mode, whether the server is open/closed/password-protected, whether the mission is part of a campaign that's in progress, current and max number of players for each game, current state of the game so you'll know if it's in the joining/briefing stage or actually in-play ... plus whatever else we can come up with.
- Website changed to be a repository of all FS2NetD goodness. How-tos and FAQs concerning everything related to FS2NetD should be there, all in one central location. Schedules for games should also be listed prominently so that people don't have to go searching for that stuff. A java IRC chat client which easily connects to the lobby chat server might also be a good addition. There could perhaps even be a forum on there which is specifically for discussing FS2NetD related issues, be it getting help with a problem, setting up new game times/dates, what builds work best, dealing with bugs, etc.
- Much better user management. We need to not only see various pilot statistics, but all have some general account management on there. Having the ability to easily change passwords, at a minimum, is a must. Creating new accounts should also be made a bit easier.
... and that's just for starters.
Obviously the source code side of things will require many modifications to make some of this stuff possible, which is why I would like to go ahead and get started on it all. Waiting until after 3.6.10 is out really isn't an option since we need the the code changes tested well before then. Nothing has to be ready anytime soon, but we really do need the details worked out as to what sort of support we need on the code side in the next few weeks.
So, does anyone have any ideas on what else we could do with the site?
And more importantly: any volunteers to do the work on the site?