Author Topic: problem with objecttypes.tbl  (Read 2124 times)

problem with objecttypes.tbl
so i put the objecttypes.tbl in the tbl file with my other used tbls such as my ai_profile.tbl, ship.tbl, and weapon.tbl and when i go to load a mission in fred, it gives me all these errors such as "order "stay still" isnt allowed for gtsc ratna" and "order guard isnt allowed for ship "iota 4"" and "ship "krishna 1" is an illegal type to be in a wing" and "ship "alpha 4" is an illegal type to be in a wing"... basicly it wont let me give my ships orders or goals, and it wont let me put ships in wings... but when i take the tbl out it works fine.

what do i gotta do?

also whats the difference between the a.i. used in objecttypes.tbl and the original a.i.?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: problem with objecttypes.tbl
where is this new table from?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
No, I think he wants the objecttypes.tbl that you are using.

what do you mean "he wants the objecttypes.tbl that you are using."

the one im using is the same one from the wiki..

i just copied and paste to wordpad

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The wiki says that it's only part of the table. By taking part of a table and sticking it in the path you make it all of the table because you've now overridden the default one with the truncated version. No wonder you're getting errors.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Yeah... I had the whole table there but then as it got corrupted in one of the edits to the page i dropped it from complete table to more manageable sized example of the table. You should also notice that you can only set certain things with the table. Many other shipclass related options remain hardcoded - and therefore beyond modders reach.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline blowfish

And for most mods, you shouldn't even need a custom objecttypes.tbl

ok part of what table is it? help me to fix this problem please...

does it make the A.I. smarter in anyway?

one thing that irritates me about the ai, during a battle if the object, which the a.i. fighter is supposed to be guarding, moves a certain distance away from the ai fighter, the fighter will stop attacking its current target and try to catch up to the object it is guarding, and as soon as it turns its back on its previous target, its target will attack him, and will usually kill him because the ai fighter doesnt evade or defend itself, when its trying to catch up to the object in which it is supposed to be guarding.

Offline blowfish

Modifying objecttypes.tbl will do nothing to make the AI smarter.  You're better off just changing the AI class of ships in FRED.  If that really doesn't fit your needs, they you can modify ai.tbl and ai_profiles.tbl (just extract them from root_fs2.vp).

Afraid the AI is pretty stoopid no matter what.  You can make it aim better n' stuff, but it will never be "smart" enough to deal with complex situations.