Author Topic: Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Baal Ascension Mod.  (Read 3454 times)

Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Baal Ascension Mod.
And now you are all thinking: What the frak has that do to with Freespace? Well, not much, but Ascension was a modification made by the developpers of the game, to make the ending of BG2: TOB more intresting (By writing a rather alternative ending), (Because it was not so very intresting due to the publisher's greedyness). The mod can be installed into the game by a program called WeiDU, a fan-made program.

So if Bioware can do modifications for their own games by using fan tools, why can't [V] make a campaign for FSOpen, and finally finish the saga?

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Re: Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Baal Ascension Mod.
Short answer,  nothing is stopping them.

Realistic answer, why? The members have moved on and are busy earning their paychecks. Last thing a working Dev wants to do is more of the same work (with by now lagging code/tools) and not get paid for it.  Mods are done by fans or by parties that can profit from it (Like NWN Wyvern's Crown! Worth the $11.00 I paid for it!)

When has a V member last stopped by? I remember DaveB like over 3-4 years ago. That should be indicator enough.
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Kie99

They can't be arsed.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Volition wanted to make expansions and even possibly sequel for FS2, but Interplay told them to stop. After :v: were bought, THQ just make stuff that THQ owned, since Interplay owned the FreeSpace IP and thus THQ couldn't have published the material...

Thus they (:v:) ended up with source code almost wortless to them and decided to release it to the public... and the rest is history.

EDIT: Slight factual error fixed.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 11:39:51 am by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Zoltan

And now you are all thinking: What the frak has that do to with Freespace? Well, not much, but Ascension was a modification made by the developpers of the game, to make the ending of BG2: TOB more intresting (By writing a rather alternative ending), (Because it was not so very intresting due to the publisher's greedyness). The mod can be installed into the game by a program called WeiDU, a fan-made program.

So if Bioware can do modifications for their own games by using fan tools, why can't [V] make a campaign for FSOpen, and finally finish the saga?

Bioware didn't make the mod, a Bioware employee took it upon himself to make it. So really your question should be: could a Volition employee be convinced to do this?
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
A better question is "Why?"  If there was a legitimate ending we would never have gotten Derelict, Inferno, or Blue Planet, just to list a few.  If a legitimate ending came out nobody would have a reason to make these great additions to the Freespace saga anymore.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Bioware didn't make the mod, a Bioware employee took it upon himself to make it. So really your question should be: could a Volition employee be convinced to do this?

How do you know they didn't? :drevil: :lol:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Jokes aside it's a good point. We have several campaigns that have demonstrated a really good writing ability, and no one said that any  :v: people on the forum had to announce their identity (the attention would probably be a hassle). I think it's completely possible one of these campaign writers could be a :v: person.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Jokes aside it's a good point. We have several campaigns that have demonstrated a really good writing ability, and no one said that any  :v: people on the forum had to announce their identity (the attention would probably be a hassle). I think it's completely possible one of these campaign writers could be a :v: person.

If that's true and he checks the forum a lot he would probably be laughing his head off at the debates on Gen FS.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
If that's true and he checks the forum a lot he would probably be laughing his head off at the debates on Gen FS.

Indeed... The funny thing is, there's no way to either prove or disprove the existence of the possibility that one of the various post-Capella campaigns would actually be devised by a Volition member. As a result, it would be considered equally non-canon as everything else. I know - it's unlikely, but who knows?

By the way, I think if the :v: members who know the general post-Capella storyline have been reading Gen FS debates, they would have laughed their heads off regardless...

Hmm, while I'm waiting for confessions starting to arrive, I'll go play some Baldur's Gate... :p

Offline Ryan

Indeed... The funny thing is, there's no way to either prove or disprove the existence of the possibility that one of the various post-Capella campaigns would actually be devised by a Volition member. As a result, it would be considered equally non-canon as everything else. I know - it's unlikely, but who knows?

...therefore,the only solution is to consider very single campaign ever made ever 200% canon to freespace!

=i can not guarenteesaid course of action will not result in more plot holes then we have already.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 06:24:18 pm by Ryan »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
One of the campaigns could be closer to the original :v: script than you think.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png