Author Topic: System Shock 2 "mishap"?  (Read 6324 times)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
System Shock 2 "mishap"?
I need a bit of help for this game. So here's the situation: Every single time I've played through the game (3 times now), the lights have been off on Deck 3 (hydroponics), and I've been forced to go through the entire level with the laser rapier because otherwise I couldn't see. But I didn't really think that the lights were even supposed to be on until I was watching a few youtube videos a few days ago.

At first, I thought it was my individual gamma setting, but it wasn't. Then, I thought I had actually consistently been forgetting to do something optional in the game, so I looked at some walkthroughs, but I didn't see anything that I didn't do.

So I ask this forum: 1) Are the lights supposed to be on in deck 3 (as opposed to it being a hack or mod)? 2) If so, how do you turn them on? :confused:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: System Shock 2 "mishap"?
Are they off in the entire deck? I haven't played this game in a long time and don't remember much, but the lights were definitely on around the elevator area where you started. That was actually the most well lit deck in the game from what I remember.

Offline Davros

the lights are supposed to be on in hydroponics
iirc you cant turn them off

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
SS2! A great game!

A Friend of mine loves this game so much he modded the **** out of it. Completely re-balanced everything and fused his changes with the best mods out there (better textures, better models).
And he bugged me too until I agreed to make a new EMP rifle for the game. He should bring me the whole completed mod today..we'll see how it plays. ;7
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Roanoke

I can't recall anywhere in the game where the lights are an issue.  :doubt:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't think I've ever encountered such a cinematic game. It'd be so much worse in the dark.

I played this through on co-op mode with my brother and it was just...beautiful.

"Okay, I'm sure the rifle's unjammed. I've got you covered. Open the door."

"bip bap bop bip bip bop" *hacking door*

"Hmm...it's kind of dark in there...can you see anything? Is that a -- "

"OH MY GOD THE EGGS!"

"SO MANY EGGS AHHHH THE LARVAE THEY'RE INSIDE ME!"

"THEY'RE COMING OUT OF THE CEEEILING!"

*frantic assault rifle fire*

"GET OUT GET OUT RUUUUUN!"

And then the frantic fumbling for a syringe of antidote to save the poor infected cyborg from death -- only to be interrupted by the polite, terrifying yammerings of one of those damn protocol droids.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Are they off in the entire deck? I haven't played this game in a long time and don't remember much, but the lights were definitely on around the elevator area where you started. That was actually the most well lit deck in the game from what I remember.

Just the sectors that you don't have to load to get to from the elevator.

I've taken some screenshots just to verify what we're seeing here:

Here are two pictures of the elevator room:

Two pictures of the window room above the pathway to the freezer:

And a picture of the hallway connecting the two said areas:

They should be much, much brighter then that.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
They should be much, much brighter then that.

Any idea on how to fix it?

Offline Davros

video card ?
graphics settings ?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
ATI radeon 9550, 1024x768x16. It also happened on all of the other screen resolutions, though. I can't remember if there's any other important settings, so I'll go look now.

Offhand I don't.   But it's been a while since I've played, and I'm on the nVidia side of things which means different issues.

Try the SAFE_TEXTURE_MANAGER 1 thing?

You asked over at the TTLG? 

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
It is powered by the Dark Engine after all. :D
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

That's actually kinda cool. It'd certainly take the cake as the creepiest level in SS2, although the lack of a flashlight would make it impossible for a newbie.

Offline Roanoke

That's actually kinda cool. It'd certainly take the cake as the creepiest level in SS2, although the lack of a flashlight would make it impossible for a newbie.

I always prefered Engineering's cargo decks myself. Though that cyborg midwife is kinda freaky.
Shame they didn't use lighting more as the dark engine was obviously capable of doing so.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

I always prefered Engineering's cargo decks myself. Though that cyborg midwife is kinda freaky.
Shame they didn't use lighting more as the dark engine was obviously capable of doing so.
:lol:

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

It does, but like I said before it's utterly impossible to do without the laser rapier. And using the laser rapier isn't quite as empowering and psychologically beneficial as blowing the crap out of things with the grenade launcher (admitidly, all of those heavy weapons are actually useless with the AP rounds).

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Are you getting this in the entire game, or just in that level?

If it's the former, it's probably due to the ATI brightness glitch that occurs in a number of games, which is annoying but easy to work around.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Are you getting this in the entire game, or just in that level?

If it's the former, it's probably due to the ATI brightness glitch that occurs in a number of games, which is annoying but easy to work around.

The former. And it's only that specific area; if you go past any bulkheads it's fine until you return to that area. I'll certainly look up the brightness glitch thing, too.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Up your gamma if you can as a temporary fix.

SS2 is by far my favorite game of all time.  I made the mistake once of playing through Hydroponics and Ops in the dark.  Never again.  That game is terrifying with headphones on in the pitch black.  *shudder*

Invisibility is a must-have for deck 4.  Then you can just scoot by all those nasty ***ing spiders and assassins.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]