Author Topic: System Shock 2 "mishap"?  (Read 6323 times)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Re: System Shock 2 "mishap"?
SS2 is by far my favorite game of all time.  I made the mistake once of playing through Hydroponics and Ops in the dark.  Never again.  That game is terrifying with headphones on in the pitch black.  *shudder*

Actually, I think even with this glitch, the Engineering cargo bays are the creepiest part of the game. You can't see 3 feet in front of you because of all of the crates, yet you can hear so much, and it's all dark and glowy too.

That deck is dangerous too, unless you know the trick to dealing with suicidal robots.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The former. And it's only that specific area; if you go past any bulkheads it's fine until you return to that area. I'll certainly look up the brightness glitch thing, too.

You said the former but described the latter. :p The problem I referred to is basically that if you have changed the brightness or gamma in the driver settings, loading certain games causes them to revert back to their defaults. The simplest solution is to use ATI Tray Tools to bind a hotkey to changing the gamma back, and hit that key whenever you start a game. This works nicely for me in all but one game.

If this is your problem though, it will affect the entire game, including menus and stuff like that.

SS2 is by far my favorite game of all time.  I made the mistake once of playing through Hydroponics and Ops in the dark.  Never again.  That game is terrifying with headphones on in the pitch black.  *shudder*

I play all my games just like that, and this was no exception. Didn't seem "terrifying" to me at all. :p

That deck is dangerous too, unless you know the trick to dealing with suicidal robots.

Is that the one where you run up to them and repeatedly smash them with a melee weapon, causing them to walk backwards without returning fire?

Offline Roanoke

or do what I do: cack your pants and run away

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Just shoot them. It's not like it's a waste of ammunition that early in the game, plus you can kill literally every other enemy with a few good wrench swings without taking damage until ops.

Offline Roanoke

I always play on Impossible. Much, much better. 

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I always play on Impossible. Much, much better. 

I tried that before, but that was immediately after I played it the first time so I got too depressed half-way through, so I stopped playing. The next few times I played were on hard. The only parts that I really had trouble with was the last deck on the Rickenbacker, with the two rumblers and spiders. :/

Offline Roanoke

TBH I always intend to try something "new" evertime I play but never bother. I've still never tried Psionics but I alway end up becoming a grunt with the assault Rifle.

Speaking about the Assault Rifle, if I was going to edit SS2 I'd make the Rifle much less powerful per individual shot but put in alot more ammo. It's really too powerful and makes auto fire completley obsolete. Only takes 3 shots to kill a Rumbler where as the big green cannontm (I forget the name) takes 2 shots and you get far less ammo for it.

Is that the one where you run up to them and repeatedly smash them with a melee weapon, causing them to walk backwards without returning fire?

Nah, I mean the exploding protocol droids, and the way that localized pyrokineses makes you immune to their explosions. 

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
PSI skill is too expensive. The only time I ever spent anything on PSI is when I go the duplication skill. Unlimited ammo is nice...

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
TBH I always intend to try something "new" evertime I play but never bother. I've still never tried Psionics but I alway end up becoming a grunt with the assault Rifle.

Speaking about the Assault Rifle, if I was going to edit SS2 I'd make the Rifle much less powerful per individual shot but put in alot more ammo. It's really too powerful and makes auto fire completley obsolete. Only takes 3 shots to kill a Rumbler where as the big green cannontm (I forget the name) takes 2 shots and you get far less ammo for it.

Just install the MOD called Straylight's Anomalies, Discrepancies And Outright Bugs Mod, it fixes things and makes the AR a lot more accessible while also toning ti down. (Though with a STD 6 skill it's still deadly).

While you're at it, you'd probably also want to install the SHTUP and Rebirth mods that overhaul the in-game models and some of the textures.

Get all of these here:
http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php?PHPSESSID=0cbe1385f35d0410a0f4828ba61728cb&board=2.0
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Just install the MOD called Straylight's Anomalies, Discrepancies And Outright Bugs Mod, it fixes things and makes the AR a lot more accessible while also toning ti down. (Though with a STD 6 skill it's still deadly).

While you're at it, you'd probably also want to install the SHTUP and Rebirth mods that overhaul the in-game models and some of the textures.

Get all of these here:
http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php?PHPSESSID=0cbe1385f35d0410a0f4828ba61728cb&board=2.0
Shut up mod? Rofl

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
PSI skill is too expensive. The only time I ever spent anything on PSI is when I go the duplication skill. Unlimited ammo is nice...

See, I go almost entirely psionic.  The early weapons get you killed way too easily.

Invisibility for the win.  The only thing you can't avoid with it is The Many and SHODAN herself, and a grenade launcher takes care of them nicely.  The red friends can also be dispatched with a couple disruptor grenades.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Davros

ok i may be remembering this all wrong
but did you have to restore power to that deck ?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
ok i may be remembering this all wrong
but did you have to restore power to that deck ?

No; on Hydro you had to get toxin-A into the environmental regulators.

Offline Roanoke

well you restore ship wide power to get to the deck in the first place  :)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
well you restore ship wide power to get to the deck in the first place  :)

Yeah, but that shouldn't have any impact on the lights there, since I always go there after I restore the power. You can get to hydroponics if and only if you restore power.

Offline Roanoke

I can't recall the lights beinf affected at all (either before or after power restoration). I just recall the radiation tubes being purged.