Author Topic: Smash Bros... Finally!  (Read 8072 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Smash Bros... Finally!
To be fair, I still think the PC is as better medium for serious, hardcore games with a lot of depth. For some reason, things just feel better on the PC.

Casual games, like Smash, and 'cinematic' games like Mass Effect, seem to really work well on consoles.

Agreed. PCs are the only platform that work when it comes to depth.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Meh.

I'm a multi-platform gamer... PC's as well as consoles.

One is not inherently better than the other, IMO. Both have weaknesses and strengths.

Statements such as:
PCs are the only platform that work when it comes to depth.

are quite narrow-minded.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Meh.

I'm a multi-platform gamer... PC's as well as consoles.

One is not inherently better than the other, IMO. Both have weaknesses and strengths.

Statements such as:
PCs are the only platform that work when it comes to depth.

are quite narrow-minded.

Nay Sir, it's the truth.

anything that you can play on a console I can play on a PC (emulator + torrents + 15 minutes). The reverse is not true.

I played many console games. They are fun, but aren't as deep as games you can get on PC.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
There are very few games that are "deep," regardless of whether or not they're on a console.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 09:47:05 pm by BloodEagle »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm skeptical that you can find emulators for modern console games.

Anyway, back on topic, was anyone a little disappointed with the Subspace Emissary mode? The cutscenes were great, but the story was kind of disjointed and the actual levels were frustrating.

It's a shear fighting game. there isn't meant to be a story in the first place.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Not true, in this case. One of the stated goals of development for Brawl was to add a deep single-player story.

Nintendo fails at elaborate stories.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Just got it gifted to me (happy birfday :P) tonite. My friend code is 3909-7281-7113. See you there, maybe.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Nintendo fails at elaborate stories.

And Halo does what?  :p
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

I've found one of the major factors in being disappointed about (or ruining completely) a game is when you expect it to be something that it is not.

I think this is why I like some games that others don't. I've heard lots of grief, for instance, about Halo 3 not living up to expectations. Well, I think part of that was the fault of the gaming community for placing those expectations too high (though the relentless over-hyping certainly didn't help). I found Halo 3 to be a satisfying and fun end to the Halo trilogy, not disappointing at all.

As previously stated, SSBB is a fighting game. Whether it was the intent of the developer or not, I never expected a very deep story out of Subspace Emissary. I still found the mode fun, even if the last level was tedious.

Elaborate stories belong in the genres they are suited for. Fighting games is not one of them. Fighting games are about beating the crap out of your opponent. Subspace Emissary delivered plenty on that count. :p
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Asuko

• Angel in conflict
I do have to say, the Great Maze (last lvl in SSE) certainly was tedious.

I find a reason to like playing Brawl is the community aspect of having vs. matches. I've had some crazy matches with a few of my friends. It never would get old since each match is different. I know I could do much the same through Internet play but there's nothing like the personal interactions in being there.

Nevertheless, I'd love a TF2 match any day just like I would to Brawl.
This sig is equal to -i.

Free Vasudans! Clicky here!!

Care to kill a flame warâ„¢?

"Is it just me or are the squirrels getting more and more waterlogged?" - Tyr

"THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" -Me
"Are you trying to exorcise my Rubik's cube?" -Tyrian

"Life's an adventure*plunge*" -Tyrian
"You call plunging a toilet an adventure?" -Me

And Halo does what?  :p
Actually halo has a fairly good story. there are 4 books (5 if you include the graphic novel) about it.

But i don't like halo anymore. I didn't even play halo 3 yet cause i'm not getting a 360. I still want my name to be changed to Flyboy.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You CAN have a good story for fighting games too. IT's a bit more difficult and most companies never bother. You can allways havea  good story.

Example? Saint Seiya fighting games (for PS2)

Know when I said depth I didn't only mean story depth - I mean everything, the works.. the tiny details, interaction, complexity..
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
anything that you can play on a console I can play on a PC (emulator + torrents + 15 minutes). The reverse is not true.
So...you can magically download a fully-working XBox emulator in 15 minutes?  Despite the fact that no such emulator exists?  Eenteresting.

*is currently pining over his Wii-less, Brawl-less state*

*is currently pining over his Wii-less, Brawl-less state*
* Haloboy100 concurs.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
never did like fighting games, i always got flak for playing starfox instead of mortal combat.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Asuko

• Angel in conflict
It's just personal taste really. Everybody has their thing.
This sig is equal to -i.

Free Vasudans! Clicky here!!

Care to kill a flame warâ„¢?

"Is it just me or are the squirrels getting more and more waterlogged?" - Tyr

"THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" -Me
"Are you trying to exorcise my Rubik's cube?" -Tyrian

"Life's an adventure*plunge*" -Tyrian
"You call plunging a toilet an adventure?" -Me

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
never did like fighting games, i always got flak for playing starfox instead of mortal combat.
I despise traditional fighting games too, but Smash Bros. is another thing entirely.  There's just something viscerally fun about punching Bowser 50 feet in the air as Jigglypuff.