Author Topic: So I had a little time...  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Shade

So I had a little time...
And decided to make dogfight mission. This one's a little different though - There are plenty straightforward dogfights around. Here, you're confined to a fairly small area that's enclosed by a couple of large ships and heavily cluttered with stuff you can use for cover. Well, not confined as such, you can leave if you want with no repercussions. Well besides exposing yourself to the two orbiting cruisers once you leave the covered area, of course.

So anyway, at least that's the idea. I made it in about 4 hours so it may not work entirely as intended (one full hour was spent just on making the cruisers follow their waypoints in a sane manner. FREDders will know my pain.), but everything seemed to work when I tried it out. So enjoy, and if you find any bugs that I missed, let me know and I'll fix them :)

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: So I had a little time...
We tried this back in the PXO days.  Major problem with player ships and respawns in events.  Tried everything.  Self desturcting the ships,   firing weapons at them if they exceed the parameter, the great "trout" experiment, etc.  Moondragon, Etheralentity and I worked for months on it.  Everything would work fine for the host but as soon as any lag was involved strange things started happening.  Client would just self destruct over and over.  Distance variables would still show old values resulting in beams killing the player. 

Wish you luck.  I probably still have to old Moondragon one around so if does work now I'll see what I can do with that one.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Shade

Oh, but they're allowed to leave, I haven't done anything fancy to lock players in - The mission has a grand total of 3 events. The cruisers are just incentive to stay in the general vicinity... I used Mentus and pointed them so their top side is always facing outwards, meaning that you can go as far as their orbit and only be harrassed by blob turrets, but if you cross it, they've got 3 AAA beams and a bunch of flaks that would like to have a word. Err... actually, now that I think about it, i think i forgot to beam free them, so make that a bunch of flaks :nervous:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 05:29:35 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Sorry eyes tricked me.  Thought that you were joking and had "no repercussions. Well besides EXPLODING yourself"   
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras