Author Topic: Server downtime for software upgrade on Friday (late Thursday night)  (Read 8780 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Server downtime for software upgrade on Friday (late Thursday night)
FS2NetD will be unavailable late Thursday night for a period of about 30 minutes.  I know that there are people who play on Thursday nights, but this change will happen at some point after 2am GMT, and I'll try and time it for a period that no one is playing.

Given the scope of the changes there are bound to be a few hiccups though.  So please check everything over early Friday so that any fixes can be put into place before you guys need everything working smoothly on Saturday night.

The new upgrade is just one step in a rather drawn out process to add a bunch of new capabilities to FS2NetD on the server side.  This first step is to consolidate the code so that the v.1 server for 3.6.9 and the v.2 server for 3.6.10 can exist in the same package.  They now share the same config file setup, based on XML, and they also live in the same location on the server (before they had to be kept separate).  There is also a new helper app that can be used to start and stop all of the daemons, display the status of each and whether it's running properly or not, and refresh the daemons to get config changes and to restart any dead daemons without having to restart them all.

The v.2 daemon for 3.6.10 builds has had a bunch of changes, with everything to bug fixes to new features.  It should now work far more reliably for everyone and should also be a bit faster, particularly with slower connections.  New security measures are also in place now to help with reliability as well.

The v.1 daemon for 3.6.9 has seen a major upgrade as well, though it's protocol remains the same.  Much of the code is the same between the two now, but the v.1 daemon can't take advantage of all the improvements for bandwidth reduction and faster connections.  It should, however, be a bit more reliable and slightly faster than it was previously.

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
Re: Server downtime for software upgrade on Friday (late Thursday night)
just a quick one i can log into 3.6.9 but cant log into 3.6.10, ive tried 3 ..3.6.10 builds with and without mediavps and no luck , gets to pwxo chat screen and fails to connect to server , is there a new patch , or a new anything?
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
There is a bug when trying to log into the lobby server, but I haven't identified what that is just yet.  The lobby server daemon was hardly touched in the upgrade so I'm sort of at a loss for what the problem actually might be.  I thought I had it figured out but removing that change didn't fix it.  I hope to find and fix the problem before the day is over though.

Offline Shade

3.6.9 daemon doesn't appear to be tracking stats properly at the moment.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline captain-custard

i followed shades advice and downloaded the latest 3.6.10 from your site (taylor), it connects to server but ten fails to read pilot info , so i cant stay in chat or move on to create a game , at the same time i do show up on the 3.6.10 fs2net ,i hope this mindless info helps.....
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline captain-custard

just a quick add on .... as i said in my last post i show up on the 3.6.10 server and even though i logged out 2hrs ago im still there and can no longer get connected to the 3.6.10 server......

Offline Shade

Also just found an issue with the FS2NetD website. After going to the site, it doesn't display games or logged-on players until you switch to a different mod. It still shows the number of players online with the number at the bottom-right of the player list, but no names or connection info.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
3.6.9 daemon doesn't appear to be tracking stats properly at the moment.
Can you verify whether the 3.6.10 daemon stores stats or not?

The logs confirm that the 3.6.9 daemon isn't storing stats, or doing several other things, properly.  The code in those particular functions is identical between the two daemon versions though, and the 3.6.10 daemon indicates no database errors, so it's a pretty curious situation.

I'll keep an eye on the logs to see if it gives any extra clues as to what is going on, but it's likely to be a couple of days before I can really work on that stuff again.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Can anyone even connect with 3.6.10?  I know I couldn't yesterday.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline captain-custard

id love to do that but 3.6.10 server will not let me log in , failed to connect msg everytime .... heres my multi log

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Shade

I've been able to connect fine using the 3-14 build, and host a game, but I haven't actually gone as far as committing to a mission.

Offline captain-custard

ive tried using the 3.14 build and im still logged on to the fs2net server, this has been like this for the last 8 hrs , but it could not authenticate my pilot and timed out so im left in limbo on the server, i wonder what the difference is between our two logins ?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I was using the 2-22 build.  Have to get the 3-14 one and try that next time.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I was using the 2-22 build.  Have to get the 3-14 one and try that next time.
Yeah, sorry about that guys, you do need to use 3/13 or newer.  Since the daemons can now run in parallel I didn't bother doing the extra setup to run the v.2 daemon, which means that it now runs on a different IP and port number than it did before (now "fs2netd.game-warden.com:12009").  The builds still hard code the config settings, so it's not possible to change that info until the next set of builds.

Offline captain-custard

ok im still having problems, 3.6.9 it works , 3.6.10-xt_0314 is a no go can you or shade please atatch your...fs2open_pxo file( if thats the right one) to be asking for, so i can try with that and the 3.6.10 server still has me as logged in can u flush its cache or something ?

thanks in advance

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
ok im still having problems, 3.6.9 it works , 3.6.10-xt_0314 is a no go can you or shade please atatch your...fs2open_pxo file( if thats the right one) to be asking for, so i can try with that and the 3.6.10 server still has me as logged in can u flush its cache or something ?
Try it now.

Oh, and it no longer uses fs2open_pxo.cfg, it uses multi.cfg now.  Plus in all test builds so far the connection information is hard coded, so you can't change it anyway.

Offline captain-custard

ah interesting and know your going to tell me i have to create a new pilot to use the 3.6.10 network or otherwise it will try to load my stats which arent on that server and obviously fail each time causing the problem i have now.... i get to the pilot stats and there it times out and fails to finish logging on and returns me back to the game hangar, and now im in limbo again lol

Offline Shade

I can't log in either now, so it's not just you. The error message reads "An unknown error (probably a timeout) occured when trying to retrieve your pilot data". Logs show nothing interesting except "FS2NetD ERROR:  UNKNOWN ERROR when fetching pilot data".

[Edit] Oh, and a nice little graphical error when the error popup is active :p:

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 07:01:42 am by Shade »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I can't log in either now, so it's not just you. The error message reads "An unknown error (probably a timeout) occured when trying to retrieve your pilot data". Logs show nothing interesting except "FS2NetD ERROR:  UNKNOWN ERROR when fetching pilot data".
Yeah, the daemon crashed due to andicirk's issue (which is what messed it up yesterday too).  I had it running in a debug session though, so I'll go through and fix the problem in the next hour or so and get a new build up and running shortly afterwords.

Offline captain-custard

thanks taylor, and sorry maybe captain custard is just to much for the new server, ( respawning every 2 minutes is hard work for the server)