Author Topic: Donation Drive  (Read 33068 times)

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
give it another couple of weeks and you'll get a year's worth... then you can shut it down till next year, when you can re-open the thread ;)

I cannot donate, however much I want to, but I have to say a big huge thanks to those who did, and Sandwich himself for taking this up to himself to ensure HLP is around. It was the only home that Freespace fans have had since the end of the ol' boards and has thrived and will keep on thriving.

Nothing of that would be possible if Sandwich wasn't around to take it upon himself to do what had to be done. This way we will get to enjoy magnificent mods like the mod for BSG, down the road.

Thank you, thanks A LOT.
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Don't thank just me - all the admins and mods have done their part. As have all of you guys - we're just supplying the platform; you guys are carrying it forward. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

If someone could PM me the hosting requirements (CPU/RAM/disk and traffic), I may be able to help out.  I have a box that's sitting unused, and I work at a colo/hosting facility, so if the traffic levels are reasonable it might work...

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
If someone could PM me the hosting requirements (CPU/RAM/disk and traffic), I may be able to help out.  I have a box that's sitting unused, and I work at a colo/hosting facility, so if the traffic levels are reasonable it might work...
This is the HLPBB--nothing is reasonable. Seriously though--a lot of the cost of a server comes in maintaining an internet connection with a static IP. Otherwise, you could click the link for the HLPBB and end up at some random other site, or have a dead link. Many ISPs won't give a static IP in a standard package, or, if they do, ban hosting a server. I looked into getting a T1 once--$300+/month.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

This is the HLPBB--nothing is reasonable. Seriously though--a lot of the cost of a server comes in maintaining an internet connection with a static IP. Otherwise, you could click the link for the HLPBB and end up at some random other site, or have a dead link. Many ISPs won't give a static IP in a standard package, or, if they do, ban hosting a server. I looked into getting a T1 once--$300+/month.

I work at a colo/hosting facility, also known as a datacenter.  A static IP and Internet connectivity is NOT going to be a problem :)  As long as the 95th percentile traffic levels are 500kbps or less, I think we could get it in here.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Pfff. Just get a ****in' dedicated server from FastHosts.

They're only like £50/month. Even I can afford that ****.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

I threw in 10 bucks, I've been systematically sponging content off this site for like 3 years now.  :)  I don't care what hosting solution you use HLP, just don't go away!

So how much money has been donated total?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Probably over 9000$.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

I work at a colo/hosting facility, also known as a datacenter.  A static IP and Internet connectivity is NOT going to be a problem :)  As long as the 95th percentile traffic levels are 500kbps or less, I think we could get it in here.

Just to clarify, is this something you could work out a nice deal for HLP to pay for?  ie, it's a lot better to have something you're paying for (even if it's a negligeable amount) and a contract, then to end up having your company be bought off by another company and have the new boss say, "sorry, but I don't do freebies, we're shutting you down."  With a contract, you would at least have a warning if that happened.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I don't see any need to block ads unless they're Flash-driven. Firefox works horribly with Flash applets. :mad2:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Fabian

• AI Code Modulator
    Temporal Mechanic
Donated 20 $.

Best Wishes to you all,

Fabian

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I don't see any need to block ads unless they're Flash-driven. Firefox works horribly with Flash applets. :mad2:

xD  Flashblock.  :yes:

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
xD  Flashblock.  :yes:

Try AdBlock Plus sometime too. I use it to block Flash advertisements on FilePlanet, as well as on every other site I visit which has Flash ads. :D :drevil:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Well, I haven't been around a lot as of late but just for the record I've thrown a few chips into the pot.  Thank the Union for the current CDN/US exchange rate.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
So how much money has been donated total?

$858.11 in the PayPal account. Probably means that $900 was donated all told (PayPal takes off a percentage of each transaction).
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

8 Months.

Not bad I say :yes:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Vretsu

Have $20. I did my part in the crusades, you know.

Mmm, 1/5 of a month.

If you fix the missing thrusterglow bug and add the beam charge-up effect to the 3.6.10 Beta VPs, I'll send you another $20.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 10:16:16 pm by Vretsu »

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
Have $20. I did my part in the crusades, you know.

Mmm, 1/5 of a month.

If you fix the missing thrusterglow bug and add the beam charge-up effect to the 3.6.10 Beta VPs, I'll send you another $20.

I don't think these things can be rushed Vretsu... :doubt:
What's up?

Freespace: Amit
Forums: GTSVA        
High Scores: Natroz