Author Topic: King of the hill  (Read 4002 times)

Offline Shade

Wondered why we haven't any missions of this sort, so I gave a bit of thought to how it could be done. After thinking about it for 5 minutes, I came to an unescapable question: Can it really be as easy as the way I've done it in the attached test mission (that took all of 10 minutes to make)? And if it is, then why aren't there 20 KotH missions out already? :p

I can't help but think that I must be missing something that'll make this way of doing it not work, because it seems too simple.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Distance operators + variable time counters could do it. (Yep, i'm making variable progress-no pun) 
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Shade

That's the thing, the way I did it doesn't even use variables. It is so simple it hurts, and as such I can't help but think that I missed something important :p
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I don't believe event scoring works in TvT.  That is probably why.

Never mind it's the other way around coop event scoring doesn't work but but TvT does.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 12:35:30 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Shade

Looks like you're right, just tried hosting myself on a LAN game and both teams got 0 points even though I sat one of them inside thenode for 2 minutes and kept the other far away. Another one for Mantis I guess. Still, that one isn't too hard to work around.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Ummmm. You're about two and a half years too late. :p

http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1382
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shade

Well how come you never posted that on a forum I read regularly? :p

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Cause back then everyone who played multiplayer was on GW not HLP. Now it's the other way around.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I don't plan to play multi anytime soon. My pilot was just one kill from promotion, and it's too painfull to fly again :(
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Shade

Cause back then everyone who played multiplayer was on GW not HLP. Now it's the other way around.
Excuses... ;) Anyway, that mission looks straightforward enough assuming one understands variables. It also looks fun :)

Mine was actually intended to be completely team-based, where you gain points for your team based on the amount of time where yours is the only team inside the node instead of keeping one person alive. It doesn't work, though, as Fubar was right... but I can fix that through some variable shenannigans. I think I like your way better anyhow.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 01:23:34 pm by Shade »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Anyone recall a similar idea back in the PXO days? Something like you had to stay in a defined area to get points and everyone was give only morning stars to try to push your opponent out.  Might have to dig through the stack of test stuff I have lying around and see if I can find it.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
There are a couple of minor bugs in the FS2 version that I fixed in the BtRL version. For instance allowing a count in minutes and seconds and a rather silly bug if you ever changed the time required to win from 2 minutes.

I could probably fix them pretty quickly if people want to play this version. I like the idea of playing it with morning stars though. :D

Offline Shade

I could probably fix them pretty quickly if people want to play this version
People do ;) And whenever a new mision VP is released, I'd love to see these KotH missions as part of it. Multi definitely needs more variety, and these are a good start :)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Couldn't find the Morning star one.  Very unusual since I never really delete anything.  Someone probably gave up on it and changed it into something else. 

There's some interesting stuff hanging out in my FS2 save directory.  I know there is some stuff that people couldn't get working quite right but may now be possible.  Missions  A lot of that stuff is probably old versions especially if it has a letter at the end like a bunch of Cet's missions in there.    I've also seen a football and baseball game in there.