Author Topic: For The Love Of ****...  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Clawandfang

• Resident writer
Re: For The Love Of ****...
I have ot admit, it would be useful to have a list of "everything", neatly divided up into relevant sections and with descriptions. Would save an awful lot of time.
No one lives in the slums because they want to. It's like this train. It can't go anywhere except where its rails take it.

If you're interested in the classic film, "The Land Before Time", then come visit a land before time forum.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Code: [Select]
Main Page
     Download the SCP!
          Full Installer (a la Turey's Installer)
          Development Builds (i.e. Xt Builds, Scripting Builds, etc.  any of the major build branches)
     Released Mods (Would link to either main site or a download page, perhaps a direct link to the file)
          Mods for Freespace
          Total Conversions

If each download could have a little blurb about what it does, and in the case of the development builds, who should download it, I think it would simplify things a lot.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm going to toss this idea out there of first-line and second-line development, where first-line is the people who make the stuff and second-line are the people who refine the stuff in order for general consumption by "everyone else". Freespace as a whole has a lot of first-line people.

What the community really lacks are second-line people. PR people, people who make the website, people who write the documentation, people who write favorable reviews of the game, people who contact websites and magazines and celebrities and get the word out there about new stuff. HLP has no marketing, no PR department, but frequently there are promises made that are never lived up to.

I've said something similar myself before. This is exactly the field that can be filled by the "I'd like to help but I have no skillz" brigade. It doesn't take any particular skill to enter stuff into the wiki. Certainly less than it takes to put some of the stuff I've seen people put into their sigs.

The first-line people can do that but why should we have to? If we do it then it hugely slows down development time. It doesn't take much skill to keep an eye on the SCP forum and add new features to the wiki. It doesn't take much skill to write up a Tech help FAQ by simply collating the answers the first-liners give. So why is no one doing this?

Sure anyone trying to do it who isn't as skilled will make mistakes but no one is going to crucify you for it. And it's a hell of a lot easier for someone who does have a full understanding of the technical problem or new feature to correct minor mistakes than it is for us to write the whole damn entry ourselves.

Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Agreed.  I may not be involved in deep stuff in the SCP, I'm only working on one mod, and even there I'm just modelling as well as doing a little bit of project management, but every minute I spend trying to write up a web page or wiki entry is a minute that I'm not working on modeling.  Yet at the same time, as content moderator, I get a lot of people PMing me asking to work on the Star Wars Conversion project, who say the usual "I can't model, texture, program or FRED, but I could be an idea guy"

If you want to help, believe me, EVERY SINGLE mod is looking for good PR people, ones who can make a web page for us, or who can promote us, write up a good Wiki entry, or any of those other second line positions.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Wank wank wank, we've already talked about all of this. This is deja-vu.

It's when it comes to doing something about it, the **** doesn't get done.

Posting "I agree" is redundant.

WE ALL AGREE.

Now find someone who can do it, and make them do it. THAT is the job for the "first line" people.

The text written here is pointless.