Author Topic: Another maintenance attempt...  (Read 5338 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Another maintenance attempt...
Hope I got the EDT<->GMT conversion correct. :)

A few things I tried didn't work.  However, I did manage to get a third of the log table removed.  I'll try again sometime this week.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: Another maintenance attempt...
The forum seems to be much slower than usual this morning.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yeah, the last attempt got borked, and I had to activate the forums right away to meet the self-imposed deadline.  There might be some crap hanging around in the databases.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
In any case, the speed has improved a lot since I posted that. It feels normal now. :)

Offline Clawandfang

• Resident writer
Hope I got the EDT<->GMT conversion correct. :)
For some reason the thought that you'd gotten AM and PM mucked up keeps running through my head. I'm probably just imagining it, but just to check, what time did you put the "back online" time at?
No one lives in the slums because they want to. It's like this train. It can't go anywhere except where its rails take it.

If you're interested in the classic film, "The Land Before Time", then come visit a land before time forum.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I put it at 1pm GMT, which is 9am EDT.  The forums came back up at around 8:50am.  Flipside was the first member online besides me.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Instead of attempting to empty the huge table, you should have renamed it, created a new table with identical structure, resume normal activity, see if it works and then delete the huge table. It would have been a matter of five minutes at best. You could have taken the table log structure from SMF installation sql-file.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 01:48:49 am by Fury »

Offline Clawandfang

• Resident writer
That was okay then. I think I'm just too used to using a 24-hour clock.
No one lives in the slums because they want to. It's like this train. It can't go anywhere except where its rails take it.

If you're interested in the classic film, "The Land Before Time", then come visit a land before time forum.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Instead of attempting to empty the huge table, you should have renamed it, created a new table with identical structure, resume normal activity, see if it works and then delete the huge table. It would have been a matter of five minutes at best. You could have taken the table log structure from SMF installation sql-file.
Sandwich suggested that too.  I'll try that next.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hmm, interesting.  It looks like somebody beat me to it.  Whoever it was, thanks. :)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I haven't had a chance to be on much at night lately.  I noticed last nights backup seemed to be much quicker then it used to be.  Possibly because of the cleanup?  I'm thinking 3-4x faster than it used to be.

I know necrothreadage but it's the first time I've tried to access the site during backup in over a month.  Usually it happens right after replying to a post that requires a lot of detail only hit post and get the weekly backup in progress message.  One night I had to wait until 4am to get the post through.  Last night it was back up before 2. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras