Author Topic: 3.6.10 What build, what VP's and what setup?  (Read 3418 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
3.6.10 What build, what VP's and what setup?
It's getting crazy out there with all the different builds and nfo.  What we need is a list of what you should be running to play 3.6.10 with the new server as well as what should work.  Right now the 3/14 XT build seems to be the only one that will log in to the lobby but for some reason it's not working for everyone.

Also 3.6.9 clients seem to be able to connect to 3.6.10 servers if they are using the beta media VPs.  This can't be a good thing.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: 3.6.10 What build, what VP's and what setup?
3.6.9 clients can't connect to the 3.6.10 server, it's impossible.  First off they use different config files, and secondly the server protocol is entirely different so they have no idea how to talk to each other even if the config was the same.  A mislabeled 3.6.10 build, which reports itself as 3.6.9 for some reason, will obviously be able to connect though.  Real 3.6.9 builds can't, unless someone back-ported the new FS2NetD code, in which case those builds would not be supported by us.

I'm not sure what all of the current builds are though, as I have been busy with other stuff for a few weeks, so I really can't comment on the state of things or recommend any particular builds.

Offline Shade

The only two notable builds I know of for 3.6.10 are the 3/14 Xt build and chief's recent trunk build, both of which will connect. Chief's is mislabeled as 3.6.9 in the name of the executable, but once in-game everything is 3.6.10.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
The only two notable builds I know of for 3.6.10 are the 3/14 Xt build and chief's recent trunk build, both of which will connect. Chief's is mislabeled as 3.6.9 in the name of the executable, but once in-game everything is 3.6.10.

just remember if you are playing that the chief build has a problem with cycling primary weapons .............(fixed)

and if your a  graphics whore the xt build has enable normal maps.......

« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 05:08:51 am by andicirk »
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline JarC

oh dear :) picking up where I left off may not be as easy as I thought...

Am considering a new stick and thought it might be nice to add FSO in the mix again, but from the sounds of this it's gonna be a pain getting a setup that plays online too...
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Shade

It's not too bad, really. Once 3.6.10 comes out, it'll be one build that does it all. All this stuff being discussed here are essentially just test builds.

Right now, if you just want to play without worrying about compatibility or about testing the new version before release, all you have to do is use a 3.6.9 build - the original 3.6.9 official release works just as well now as it did a year ago, no extra setup required if you could play then.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Someone was looking for Linux builds earlier. Here's one, 3.6.10 (rev 4615) compiled fresh from SVN (i686,32bit)
http://www.youshare.com/view.php?file=fs2_open_4615.tgz

Offline captain-custard

just to say look here ive posted the builds i could find for the 3.6.10 multiplayer

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,53508.msg1082018.html#msg1082018

and heres some good news ,http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,53185.msg1084194.html#msg1084194

so as soon as this happens i will link the builds

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Btw, in the thread with my first build, there was a link to a newer one, with the file names correct.  I'll probably add its link to the first post.  Also, the FS2NetD server seems to take forever to connect, with any of the builds that work for me at all.  The builds used to fire it right up, so I think there have been some server side changes that have caused the connectivity issues, or at least helped worsen them.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline captain-custard

when it starts to log in to the irc just cancel and you will go straight through to the next screen......,

Btw, in the thread with my first build, there was a link to a newer one

when you say you have a newer build is this just some bug fixes and a name change?

or was it compiled after taylors changes .......

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,53185.msg1084194.html#msg1084194

thanks........

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Nope, this was before the stats, I just checked the log and that was a couple revisions later.  It was a new build on the 26th, and I just put the link to it in the first post of that thread :)

I'll try to get a build out with that fix tomorrow if one hasn't shown up by then.  Too tired tonight, all this posting is making me sleepy.

/postflood
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays