Author Topic: Colossus  (Read 168480 times)

Just checking out of idle curiosity if this Colossus model was still being worked on.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
when it's done, we'll tell you. stop asking.

To be fair, that quote was almost a year ago. :p
I am a revolutionary.

I get where mix is coming from, but I'm certainly not waiting another year to play through FS2's main campaign again. Mods have died in far less time than next to a year without updates. :p

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
Well, judging from mjn.mixael's response, you can surely bet that it's still in the pipeline. And knowing how fast pipelines move, we can assume that it'll get there when it gets there. :)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Still, an update would be nice. I can't believe texturing that beast would take an entire year (it already had basic textures last time I've seen it). "When it's done" is an acceptable answer if it's actually being done, and something tells me it isn't.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
So you're gonna texture it if it's not being worked on?
el hombre vicio...

Offline Luis Dias

Guessing by the number of projects his badges attest to, I'd say not. :D

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
So you're gonna texture it if it's not being worked on?
Well, actually, I thought about that. It all depends on the status of the main texture. If the main map is done, then I could try doing the rest. I might not be the best texturer in the world, but IMHO, it's better to have medicore normals and shine maps than nothing at all. This would most likely take some time, but I don't think an entire year.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
A couple things, guys.

FSU is not dependent on me alone. The number of badges I have is irrelevant. What is far more relevant is the number of assets we are finalizing. There are assets we are working on that aren't even on that list yet.

The main work that needs to be done on the Colossus is the normal map needs to be traced from the diffuse. We were not given source files so we need to go it alone and we really want a proper normal map, not one generated from the diffuse in some bulk fashion. Essentially we need someone to go in and trace the lines on a few different layers in GIMP/Photoshop so that we can then set depth levels and make a proper normal map.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Luis Dias

I could do that, MJN. But not today. I'm feeling extremely sick and apparently I'm not the only one in the family. Call me tomorrow or after, and I'll definitely check that out. For what is worth, I'm really used to make diffuse, normal, bump mapping for materials here in my office.

Also, the "number of badges" thing wasn't directed at you, it was directed at dragon. Wasn't even serious, so don't take offense.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
We were not given source files so we need to go it alone and we really want a proper normal map, not one generated from the diffuse in some bulk fashion.
In that case I can't help you. My method, while decent looking (ask the Inferno guys) is based exactly on what you don't want. :) Unfortunately I don't think I have the time to learn a new, completely different and much more complex method of normalmapping.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken