Author Topic: Colossus  (Read 168719 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Pushing around some pixels on the textures. You should see some improvements, though with a full UV map the customization is limitless. I'll wait till Cobra's make a Hangar texture for me then put it in the SVN and let some other artists work on it some more.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Hellzed

Where can i find this SVN server ? Is this a complete mediavps SVN version, or just some few ships ?

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
The MediaVP SVN is not open to the public, only those who heavily contribute (and ask Zacam nicely) get the password and hostname.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
It's not "the" password.  The way SVN works is that everyone who has access has a separate account so that commits can be tracked.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
It's not "the" password.  The way SVN works is that everyone who has access has a separate account so that commits can be tracked.

I have access to the Blue Planet SVN, so does this mean that if I make an edit to one of the files on my copy of SVN and commit, it will be transferred to everyone else who as access to SVN?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It would, if you had write access to the BP svn. You only have read access, so you can only receive changes, not send them out via svn commit.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I've got fully half of the Greebles texture dedicated to the fighterbay, and I'll be copying the diffuse map to the Glowmap to prevent outside lighting from affecting it. I have no plans to put more than three textures on this model. mjn.mixael and Cobra will be providing the textures.

but the fighter bay will only be drawn when in the fighter bay, you could have half the total ships textures in there and it wouldn't hurt anything.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Do as you wish.
Altough my personal preference is to design warships like they are...you know.. actually built for war?

True, but a game with completely smooth spaceships with no greeble (only idiots would build warships with exposed piping/hardware) is lame. Besides, building the neck with much less mass (we're talking the equivalent of an entire skyscraper's worth of empty volume) means that there's less stress on it when the colossus tries to turn. Otherwise, it may snap in two or something.

Hmmm. I'm wondering if it's possible to get colly-batted in a way that gets you stuck in the girders, so that you bounce/vibrate in the gap before dustifying. Might be funny.

But carry on. It's looking plenty awesome.

Edit: I just realized that this has the potential to look like absolute rubbish because the girders can't cast shadows. Can we fix that?

Perhaps the girders are heatsinks?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
 :bump:

So, what's going on here?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Aside from all the traveling and planning and cooking and cleaning that goes along with Thanksgiving, I've had a miserable time these past few weeks trying to find a job so I can pay the rent next month. :blah: If I do end up having to cancel my internet service I'll be sure to get this out the door for everyone to use soon.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
*starts "Fund Galemp's Internet so he can finish the Colossus!" emergency fund*

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
After taking a look at the latest version in the SVN, I have some feedback (making it public so others can chip in as well).

First off, the window detail you've added is pretty godawfully ugly, It'd be far better to remove it and make the lighting texture higher-rez, pic:

Second off, I think that you might need to contact ragingloli try and get hm to finish the textures he was doing for it, as they look better and don't look as if they were tled and turned into a UVMap as your's do (no offense intended at all, your's are pretty decent, just his are better).

pic:
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline blowfish

Yeah well if I had a dime for every awesome model that raginglolo has started but not finished/released, I'd have ... well actually only 30 cents (maybe 35 if you count those Hatshepsut turrets).  But that's not the point.  We're lucky he released the WIP Hatshepsut when he did, because he ain't been seen 'round here since then.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Steam
oh gawd, if this is going into MVPs anytime soon i'd have to stop getting the newer ones  :lol: Even 3.6.12 hatshepsut breaks me down to 7 FPS :(

Offline Hades

Yes... but I wasn't talking about his models, blowfish, just the texture.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline blowfish

Get him to appear first.  Then we'll talk :doubt:

Offline Hades

I actually got a private message from him on October the 31st. While that was a while in the past, he hadn't been active for a while before I PMed him and got a reply. He's been very busy lately by 'RL' stuff (presumably college and the likes).
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Well, I'm not the best texture artist... especially on something of this magnitude. Hence the posting of the source files.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, I'm not the best texture artist... especially on something of this magnitude. Hence the posting of the source files.

I'm the same way. (That's what I did with all my wepons, is get them usable) I think you did a great job and its more than usable. But of course someone with ragingloli's talent is going to do a better job. If someone wants to take the model and try to do a better job, go for it. But I just wouldn't count on getting ragingloli's textures.

Like I said in IRC. ragingloli does incredible work, but until it's released, his stuff is just impressive concept art, nothing more.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Hades

Oh, BTW Galemp, he collision still seems to be messed up in for the head, and some parts on the body.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL