Author Topic: Recent builds cause weird bugs  (Read 4986 times)

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Recent builds cause weird bugs
It seems that recent builds from SVN cause  very odd errors for me.  The first is that many ships lack thrusters entirely.  They can still move, but they have no thrusters.  I have no way of telling what ships will have thrusters and which will not (though it might only happen to ships that arrive after the mission starts - I can't confirm this though).  The second problem was that Flak projectiles didn't detonate unless they hit their target, though this seems to have been fixed when I updated my build today.  Another is that destroy wing directives can frequently not complete themselves.  Even though all of the ships were destroyed, it will still say that there are a couple of ships left to destroy.  I have experienced this but in multiple missions in two campaigns.  The last, and certainly the weirdest, has only occurred in one mission so far.  What happened is that an Arcadia in that mission (that was there when the mission started), spontaneously warped in a couple of times.  After replaying the mission over and over (though bug #3 seems to keep me from finishing it), this problem happens again and again.  The subspace hole forms at its former location, and it warps out of it, retaining its hull integrity etc.  Its worth noting that that mission was red-alert though, and I didn't create a new pilot for that campaign.  I am also going to take a look at the mission file to see if anything weird is going on.

EDIT: Well, the build I'm using isn't directly from SVN.  It is modified to test the ship template code.  I have experienced similar issues with standard SVN builds though.

And just to be sure, my system:

Macbook Pro, 2.4 ghz, Mac OS X 10.5.2, GeForce 8600M GT
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 08:58:36 pm by blowfish »

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Re: Recent builds cause weird bugs
I have the same bug, its the arriving ships only, I have tested this multiple times.
Affects all arriving ships, fighters up to, and including capships.

(edit) In case it comes up i`m running  ( fs2_open_3_6_10_inf )
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 09:47:30 pm by Whitelight »
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline Tempest

• The Star Wars Conversion
    • The Fate of the Galaxy - SWC
I've been getting the thruster issue and flak issue as well. Flak only detonating when it hits makes it remarkably less scary.
"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

Offline blowfish

And alters mission balance.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
that was fixed in mantis #1662.  I'm surprised it wasn't reported earlier.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline blowfish

What about the other issues?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
phreak, April fool's is over, you can stop rickrolling everyone with your sig now.  At least the Mantis link.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
phreak, April fool's is over, you can stop rickrolling everyone with your sig now.  At least the Mantis link.

i've actually had it like that since last june...

Session Start (phreakSCP:hlphippo): Sun Jun 17 02:26:00 2007
[02:41] phreakSCP: you've seen that rick roll thing on you tube?
[02:41] hlphippo: nope
[02:48] phreakSCP: there i changed my hlp sig to make all the scp links go to that youtube video
[02:48] hlphippo: lol
[02:48] phreakSCP: lets see how many pms i get
[02:48] phreakSCP: PMs
[02:48] phreakSCP: looks wrong all lowercase
[02:48] hlphippo: lol
[02:54] phreakSCP: now i just need to start posting

Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
I approve of this product and slash or service.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Yeah, I get the no thrusters too. Already mantis'd.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I get inverted colors when paused or in screenshots. I also had the Arcadia problem, only I seemed inexplicably sucked into it. Also, some ships get weird directives. (Friendly escape pods told to attack Alpha 1, wingmen told to evade me. Am I that bad of a guy?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
There are some weird problems with the ai code: ai orders are being erased, protect flag being ignored... Seems to be mission specific though...
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
nother is that destroy wing directives can frequently not complete themselves.  Even though all of the ships were destroyed, it will still say that there are a couple of ships left to destroy.  I have experienced this but in multiple missions in two campaigns.

I've gotten this too.  That one can be a mission block.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I just got something odd when just trying to compare something i changed to the fresh svn trunk build. When flying Artemis in the Kings Gambit, armed with Prom R, Hornets and two banks of Cyclops i alternated cyclops and hornets against the Aeolus class cruiser and then when firing pair of Cyclops it did indeed fire a pair of cyclops but it did also fire a pair of hornets (not two swarms of four of, just pair of) as well.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline blowfish

I get that too.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
I think I found the swarm fire problem.  Gotta test a couple changes to make sure I don't break real swarmers, first.

The wing problems are odd.  I've only had it happen once lately.  Anyone know of a mission that reproduces it often?  I wonder if the cause is possibly related to whatever's behind this bug.  Either way it should be Mantised by someone who can get it to happen more than once.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I have been testing a bit and didnt get them appear on retail data using 'Their Finest Hour' for wing bug (the linked Scorpio wing issue) testing and 'Kings Gambit' for swarm bug testing while using SVN 4400 or 4540 revisions. Both bugs appeared on the respective missions when using recent builds though. I'll try to narrow it down a bit more still though.

EDIT.. as 4576 is without the swarm bug and 4580 has it i believe it was taylors 4577 commit that introduced the swarm bug while fixing other swarm related issue

And the wing problem that was reported in the other thread appears between 4580 and 4585... i think it is caused by 4584 as that is the only change in that duration that seems to affect the wings.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 10:30:39 am by Wanderer »
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Just checking to see if the swarm and wing bugs are mantised, or fixed.  It's late and I'm just posting because I'm too tired to search myself.  I'll look tomorrow if no one finds out before then.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
taylor fixed the swarm bug yesterday (very simple).  The Scorpio wing assert seems to be mantised here.  Not fixed yet but taylor and karajorma are on it.