Author Topic: New Problem?  (Read 1199 times)

Ok, I searched through all 11 pages looking for a similar problem and didn't see anything. I downloaded Freespace 2 Open v 3_6_9, set it up, and started the game, When I got to the menu I was only able to select multiplayer, the single button didn't do anything and when I entered a profile name I got this

Ok, I have three drives, C: D: and F:, Freespace is installed to F:\Program Files\Freespace2, the C: drive has the least space with about 600MB. So, retry does nothing and I dont' want to quit, so I clicked ignore. Here the game crashes and I get this error message.

Error: Couldn't load pilot file, bailing
File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\MenuUI\PlayerMenu.cpp
Line: 857
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    game_leave_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()
------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, the error log has this.

fs2_open_3_6_9 caused an Access Violation in module fs2_open_3_6_9.exe at 001b:004075ca.
Exception handler called in FreeSpace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 4/28/2008 23:50:30.
F:\Program Files\Freespace2\fs2_open_3_6_9.exe, run by Justin.
1 processor(s), type 586.
2048 MBytes physical memory.
Read from location 000000d0 caused an access violation.

Okay, that's about it, does anybody have any idea how I can get this to work? I just tried the demo recently and I'm really looking forward to playing FS2's campaign.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
If this is what I think it is then what you need to do is create a single player pilot then exit the game and create a multi player one.  When you get to the menu just start typing the pilot name and hit enter.  This bug has been fixed for the next version.

The other possibility is the player directory didn't get created for some reason.  Try manually creating the \data\players\multi and \data\players\single directories.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 01:07:45 am by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Hey thanks, I actually ended up having to do both of your suggestions in the opposite order you wrote them to fix it, but it works now. Thanks a lot.