Author Topic: I found a new use for the track ir...turret control!  (Read 4287 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I found a new use for the track ir...turret control!
il just let the video do the talking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlo2hHlNIZk
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Re: I found a new use for the track ir...turret control!
So... it's the reticle moving around the screen? i don't get it.  :confused:
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline boewolf

It just looks strange to me...  why would you want the reticle moving like that?

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Looks like the HUD stays with the direction the ship is pointing, while a separate targeting reticule remains in the center of the screen. That does seem a bit awkward. Perhaps it would be better to leave a reticule for the fixed guns, and keep the rest of the HUD in the center of the screen. It's a cool use for track ir though.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
the point is you can fire where you look.

the turret reticle could use some work though. as you look around the position of the turret gons move in relation to the view. the turrets follow a point in space projected through the screen center out to the range of the target or 10000 meters, if no target is selected. i then use a blank weapon that has the same properties as the one on the turrets, minus the life time and damage values. if the script finds a weapon belonging to you that is of the right name, then it calls fireWeapon() on that turret.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 01:57:26 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
Very neat.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

neat-o... but how can this be used?

Would it be possible to make a multiplayer mode where one player controls the turret and another player controls the ship?

Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

does anyone even play multiplayer anymore?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yes, apparently. Check the multiplayer forum.
Coop play with this (or capship control) would be amazing. Multiple players pile onto a Deimos, and go on a shooting spree, each player getting a turret or two (since manning a Piranha turret is no fun).
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

And the pilot can occasionally call a broadside (like in that stupid pirates online game) that shorts out the engines for a min, but unleashes every turret's fire power on the nearest enemy cap ship.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
(like in that stupid pirates online game)
You mean this stupid pirates online game?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its amazing how a good idea can fly over so many heads

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Oh I think it's cool, myself.

im not sure i understand
does it act as a simulation for semi-newtonian physics?

Offline --Steve-O--

• I might be the last man on earth to use TS3.2
this would be awsome for like a chin mounted turret on a fighter, or tail gun. i do miss that little feature from the WC series. but yeah, chin gun. i like how that looks in my head (honestly for a second i pictured Peter Griffin with a machine gun hanging off his chin...dear god im loosing it), nice way to bolster fire power and not have to rely on ai control of turrets all the time. yeah...this can be fun.
"And so they dwelled in filth, on worlds made of dirt and feces, and there they lay until they stumbled into the skies." --the Mad Prophet

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
im not sure i understand
does it act as a simulation for semi-newtonian physics?

*wooosh!"
:D

im essentially killing shivans by looking at them

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
How can't people see that? I got it from the thread title, even.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i know, i've been really disappointed with the modding board lately.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Excellent work! This will be really useful for finally creating that elusive gunship class.

I got an couple of ideas on improving the user interface:

The basic idea is look-and-shoot. The turrets aim where you look. The problem is, where you look is actual a point in space, and this could be anywhere from the tip of your nose to the next galaxy.

So we need to tell the guns the range of where you look and vice-versa tell the player where the guns aim.

(Your "ghostgun" does a very clever range calculation.  However I have a feeling this data would be also available from the targeting code that generates the shooting reticle, so a code modification - or hook just for your script - would be more than justified in this case).

What we need is a visual cue. The set of cross-hairs should be scaled according to the range (from the ship) the guns bear on. If this crosshair is the size of the average target (fighter for instance) then when you slew your view onto a target you will be assured a hit when it "boxes" the bogey.

If we want to simulate an actual "lock-up" (which would also be handy as it leaves us time to do a ghost-shot) a different reticle should be displayed while calculating range. So we have a reticle scaled to infinity without a target, a lock-up reticle, and finally an appropriately scaled reticle. This creates a "flashlight" effect, so the player will immediately feel when he has something in his sights.

To simulate turrets without infinite tracking speed a different set of cross-hairs could be actually rendered for the guns themselves. This set of cross-hairs should always point at the point where the guns are actually aiming. So by waiting until the second set catches up you can tell the player whether the guns are locked up or not.

If you're firing ballistic (ergo not hitscan) ammunition, the same code could be used to generate a set of similar crosshairs for a set of ranges so they would give the player a bullet trajectory. This could also be done on a per turret basis, so widely spaced turrets could also be visualized.

Finally the code could be combined with the convergence code - as far as I see it already is in a matter of speaking, since the turrets "auto converge". In a primitive setting - or at a CIC type gamplay - one could set the conversion or target range. By doing so with the mouswheel and with the above visual cues we have a fast and entertaining gameplay.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan