Author Topic: SH Gargant?  (Read 138338 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I refuse to read that post until you give it paragraphs.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
What they said.

Particularly important on the Internet and computer screens, where it's easy to lose your place.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I prefer to believe that the Shivans didn't make nodeless jumps during the Great War, rather they used nodes that the Terrans and Vasudans didn't know about and still don't.  Perhaps they were low-stability nodes and resided below the detection threshold of the sensor systems available to the Terrans and Vasudans.

In regards to the Capella incident, I see it two ways.  The first, is that when the Saths jumped out, they were merely jumping to another location within Capella to avoid the shockwave.  The other is that the supernova did something to local subspace, opening some kind of rift that the Saths were able to jump through.  It would seem to fit with the general notion from the final cutscene, where Petrarch speculates that the Shivans needed to destroy the Capellean sun to get home.  Its the general belief among the community that there was more to the triggering of the supernova than a simple weapon of mass, mass, mass destruction.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
There are many volatile nodes in T-V space...both Terrans and Vasudans use nodes that are supposed to remain stable for a century or more.

The Shivans have advanced subspace technology and don't care about losses - under these circumstances they're likely to use volatile nodes. Maybe, for the Shivans, volatile nodes are simply "slightly unsafe" nodes. They surely know how to use subspace.

And damn it, Gary....paragraphs!!!  :shaking:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Already fix that paragraph issue, Mobius.

No because the post that preceeded mine isn't readable and the one that followed mine is almost readable.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
FS1 outro... narrator (stated to be "you" in the FS Ref Bible) says "but the Shivans can rebuild them" or some **** like that.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
The Knossos stabilizes jump nodes as well...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I guess. But neither of those necessarily means the ability to create a jump node where none previously existed.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Yes, that sentence from FS1's Endgame is a bit of meh...it gives for sure that the GTA needs the Shivans to reopen the Sol jump node... :wtf:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Mobius, High Max's post is fine now. Let him be!

Though I will say, High Max, that those paragraph lengths they teach in school are completely flexible, and more suited for academic writing than Internet discourse.

Offline starlord

Has anyone given a thought as to what the shivan "core" unit might be like? the thing (provided they function as a hive pattern) around which they would birth/organise? planet? star? supership? installation?

Has anyone made theories as to that and as to what a "last" encounter with the shivans might look like?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Has anyone given a thought as to what the shivan "core" unit might be like? the thing (provided they function as a hive pattern) around which they would birth/organise? planet? star? supership? installation?

Has anyone made theories as to that and as to what a "last" encounter with the shivans might look like?

In all probability it would look like the annihilation of the human race.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Being the Inferno forum, I'd like to suggest that the final conflict with the Shivans would involve the GTVA (with Alpha 1 in a beam fighter), the EA (with fifty Icanuses) and time-travelling Ancients (with SuperCaps of all kinds) fighting 1 new Shivan supar ship 10 Gargants, and 50 Gigases simultaneously, powered by FreeSpace Open build 3.8.24-INF.

Err... Sorry... :nervous:

:lol:

Battle of Endor^3?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
No because there's no trace of fighters. :P
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Or use low level LODs and switch to FS Close(the contrary of FS Open, that brings FS back to the 80s in terms of gaming technology).
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I think he knows that.

That's why Mobius made the joke.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
By the way, in the 80's, all there was were sprites as far as I know. It wouldn't be Freespace if lowered to that tech level. It couldn't play like that in 3D and that means all the gaming elements that make it Freespace couldn't exist. It would be like original NES where if it did show what you could call 3D, it was all sprite based and each room would be only 3 frames and you could only walk forward (referring to the original Contra, level 2 and 4, as the example). That would make a Freespace game impossible and no gameplay features that make Freespace what it is could exist. For example, there could be no dog fighting. Plus, there would be no way to aim and hit your target at such a poor frame rate and the ships couldn't be models, among other limitations.
Don't forget that the original Wing Commander came out in 1990, and that managed to pull off space-based combat using nothing but sprites. ;)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Wing Commander is quite like doing a drawing on MS Paint, if you put it that way. ;)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The FS series definitely drew inspiration from Wing Commander (or so I've heard, since I haven't played any of that series myself), as well as the old Star Wars sims (which I sadly haven't played either).  The general consensus I can gather from the reviews of the day is that FS (and in particular, FS2) didn't innovate so much as gather the best elements of the genre into one game and polish them very well.