Author Topic: Freelancer: War-Torn  (Read 3178 times)

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Freelancer: War-Torn
No, it's not a sequel to Freelancer or anything. It's a mod. And a pretty good one too, or else I wouldn't be writing about it here.

Description

Freelancer: War-Torn is a mod for the Freelancer game that sets itself apart with gorgeous graphics, a total rebalance, an astonishing amount of new, innovative features, and an exciting storyline. Featuring a completely new arsenal, fully rebalanced ship combat, heavy tweaking of all the vanilla systems on top of many new ones and more eye candy than you could ever imagine, FLWT is one mod to look forward to. Created and imagined by the twisted minds of programexpert and CheeseOnToast, it will boast what both can do best: high polish, high quality and feature heavy modding goodness!

Storyline (As of March 22nd, 2008)

War, raging for decades... The one plague we thought was a matter from the past comes back to haunt us. Always. What began as a peaceful expedition motivated by survival is now an all out war for supremacy. Already, armies are massing on the borders. It all started some six years ago. What seemed like the greatest discovery of mankind in the Sirius sector might now be the dawn of our extinction. The technology, called Mass Phasing, can shatter bodies in smaller and smaller components, up to subatomic levels. Furthermore, it can then reverse the process and basically create mass from energy after transforming mass into energy. This discovery could open the doors of a new golden age for Humanity. Unfortunately, its first purpose was predictable: war. Samura Industries, the minds behind this massive breakthrough, lost an experimental weapon during an undercover shipment. Soon afterwards, Rheinland is rumored to have access to a weapon of unbelievable strength. Worried, the Kusari government expects the worst. However, Rheinland surprises everyone by concluding a durable alliance with Kusari and declaring war on Liberty, destroying the planet Houston. Bretonia comes to aid Liberty and the Houses War... Has begun.

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGQ_u5altUQ
           High resolution version here: http://www.fl-wt.com/Ad1.wmv

MODDB PAGE: http://www.moddb.com/mods/10355/freelancer-war-torn - you can find screenies and other stuff on it.

THEIR SITE AND FORUMS: http://www.fl-wt.com/

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: Freelancer: War-Torn
This looked pretty interesting until I figured out that it isn't actually released yet. :p

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
say, can one still play freelancer online?
I hate My signature!

This looked pretty interesting until I figured out that it isn't actually released yet. :p

lol - its getting there damn it! :D

yea this is cheese on toast from the dev team (even tho theres only 2 of us >.> :D)

just like to thank ShadowGorrath for posting this lol :D see you on the forums fella :)

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
:welcomesilver:

Welcome here, though I already know you from FL-WT forums.   :p

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Looks interesting, been playing the expansion mod on Freelancer lately, so it'd be good to see some kind of extension to the story itself :)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Are capital ships actually useful in this mod?

I remember a mod I used to play alot called (IIRC) evolutions that totally rebalanced the game (in a good way) and added lot more stuff. Then it went offline for a while, but it lookes like it has come back
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Don't know if they will. Probably? It's rebalanced after all.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I remember a mod I used to play alot called (IIRC) evolutions that totally rebalanced the game (in a good way) and added lot more stuff. Then it went offline for a while, but it lookes like it has come back

Now if only I could read any of that.

I'm not sure why everyone thought capital ships were unuseful, I got screwed up by them plenty of times... :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
There's an english forum section on that site.

Offline Kosh

I'm not sure why everyone thought capital ships were unuseful, I got screwed up by them plenty of times...

Their weapons were weak and easy to dodge.

Actually Evolutions used to be made by a different group called "Pathfinder Studios", but they went offline. These other guys, I don't know who they are or even what country they are in, but they seem to have taken over development.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm not sure why everyone thought capital ships were unuseful, I got screwed up by them plenty of times...

Their weapons were weak and easy to dodge.

But they had an awful lot of them, and if tried to do a hold-your-course firing run even for a couple seconds on a Rhineland battleship it would rape you. I also found swarms of Rhineland gunboats supremely annoying opponents when in a heavy fighter (particularly the Bretonia heavy fighter), it was much more difficult to dodge them all. Slashing passes worked better, but you would still take some hits and inflict very little damage really.

In any case, it's sort of hard for me to get excited about Freelancer mods, seeing as how very few of them were meant to improve the single-player experience. :P
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 08:29:35 pm by ngtm1r »

A Feddie Story

Offline Kosh

From what I recall their guns were pretty spread out.

In any case, it's sort of hard for me to get excited about Freelancer mods, seeing as how very few of them were meant to improve the single-player experience.

IIRC, Evolutions did by adding tons of new stuff to fly and a few new places to go. They also fixed that annoying issue of Liberty only having level 2 weapons. With the mod the weapons level is proportional to yours.

Here is a mod (I haven't tried it yet) you might be interested in since it appearently does make an attempt to improve single player experience.

http://www.discoveryfl.com/

The award-winning Discovery modification was designed as a full-scale expansion pack for Freelancer. It breathes new life into the familiar PC game by adding lots of new features without taking away the atmosphere and balance of the original. Discovery allows players to develop and explore far beyond the reaches of unmodded Freelancer, both in multiplayer and in singleplayer modes. The modification adds 68 new systems, 152 new ships, hundreds of new weapons, equipment and commodities, new factions and NPC encounters, its own storyline, and much more - everything seamlessly integrated into Freelancer universe. View distance limitations, 1 billion player credit limit, and 10 million item price limit are all things of the past for Discovery

Give it a shot and let me know how it goes.

EDIT: Looking at a website I found how many guns each type has:

Rheinland battsleship: 19
Liberty dred. : 11
Kusari battleship: 20
Bretonia battleship: 12

To give some perspective a GVD Typhon has 15 turrets, a Hatshepsut has 30, a GTD Orion has 16, and a Hecate has 27. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 10:41:39 am by Kosh »

Brain I/O error

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Sounds cool, not looked on youtube yet. I've got a few other things streaming and my conn would whimper and snap like a hamsters sanity...

I'm not explaining why the hamsters sainty would snap... but it's related to wwhat i'm streaming :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I'll take interest when I see it completely revolutionize single player :rolleyes:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
I've used the Discovery mod.  It's pretty good providing you don't bother with the main story.  Many of the already difficult missions are just downright impossible with this mod.

It does add a lot of new stuff and it's better themed than some of the older mods.  Enough to keep me busy until FL:WT is released.
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Yeah, Discovery's rebalancing makes the main campaign pretty much impossible, leaving you with...what you had after the main campaign in the original. Which is not much.

A Feddie Story

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Agreed, I enjoy the Discovery mod, but the single player is impossible, and there's a bit too much 'class distinction'. I don't mind grinding for a nice ship, but some of the prices in Discovery were downright offputting, and there was no real 'gradient' in the pricing.