Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3031557 times)

Offline LHN91

Re: W-H-I-Y-L It's over 1000!!!!! (pages)
Realizing how rusty my coding skills are at the moment. Relatively simple assignment that I've just more or less finished, but god is it ever a kludgtastic mess with almost no error handling. I would do a major refactor and clean-up of the code, switch to a more modular style..... but it's due in 3 hours and I really don't feel like spending all of those hours trying to refactor working code for an extra percent or two. Documentation writing and submission time it is, then.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
error handling is for programmers who introduce errors into their code.  :p
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
error handling is for programmers who introduce errors into their code.  :p

It's also for people running the program on a multi-process OS, and don't really want to shut down the entire thing... :P

LHN91: What language are you coding in?
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline LHN91

Just straight C on Linux. Like I said, it was just me being rusty and not bothering to properly lay out my code and modularize in the initial design.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
straight C... error handling...

oh yuck.  :snipe:
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i thought i was gonna be a programmer up until 10th grade when i discovered physics and engineering.  then i thought i'd get a CSC minor for giggles since programming logic is piss easy for me, and it's just a matter of learning the language.  until my 2nd level class, when i learned i was expected to run test cases, error handling, and comment ****ing everything, and i pulled the eject handle.  didn't help that the professor, who was supposed to be a well-respected, intelligent guy, was a complete ****ing moron.  i don't want to be anywhere near an industry that can think highly of a guy like that.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
You get morons in every industry.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
i thought i was gonna be a programmer up until 10th grade when i discovered physics and engineering.  then i thought i'd get a CSC minor for giggles since programming logic is piss easy for me, and it's just a matter of learning the language.  until my 2nd level class, when i learned i was expected to run test cases, error handling, and comment ****ing everything, and i pulled the eject handle.  didn't help that the professor, who was supposed to be a well-respected, intelligent guy, was a complete ****ing moron.  i don't want to be anywhere near an industry that can think highly of a guy like that.

Damn dude, way to put down everybody in CS.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I somehow got drunk off of chocolate syrup. wth?  :confused:
chief1983

------------

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Probably a sugar rush.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Probably a sugar rush.

Nope, nope. Definitely not a sugar rush.
chief1983

------------

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

Personally I don't mind, and I don't think any other CS student would. Almost comical, actually. 2nd level programming, at UM at least, is just a class designed to weed out students that CS is a bad fit for anyway. If you think testing, error handling, and documentation are beneath you I'll just say good riddance. :p It sounds like Klaus would have be better off with a minor in computational mathematics. (inb4computersciencevscomputationalmathematics  :nervous:)

If you think testing, error handling, and documentation are beneath you I'll just say good riddance. :p

Oh hell yes. The last thing the programming industry needs is more people who don't comment their code.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

Personally I don't mind, and I don't think any other CS student would. Almost comical, actually. 2nd level programming, at UM at least, is just a class designed to weed out students that CS is a bad fit for anyway. If you think testing, error handling, and documentation are beneath you I'll just say good riddance. :p It sounds like Klaus would have be better off with a minor in computational mathematics. (inb4computersciencevscomputationalmathematics  :nervous:)

i kinda think the whole cs crowd is kinda spoiled. multi-gigahertz, multi-core processors awesome floating point units and large amounts of ram, and libraries that handle pretty much everything for you. its a hell of a lot more fun writing code on something that has nothing. no fpu no multi core, no gigahertz, and where including a library will waste all your resources. so ive had a hell of a lot of fun with embedded systems, microcontrollers and the like. it also meshes well with my electronics wizzardry.

you really do more computer sciencey things when your focus is not set on application development. such a programmer need not worry about their math library being sub-optimal in a certain situation and there is no concern about use of basic math operations. you just use what you need when you need it. like how does one do scaler operations without an fpu or even a hardware multiply instruction.  you really start appreciating things like shift instructions, which come in handy for a lot of fixed point maths. and when you have to make your own trig functions when your math is all binary fixed point. for example when dealing very low level code like that it helps to completely abandon concepts like degrees or even radians, and start dividing into 2^8 or 2^16 ticks per rotation (the latter usually being in an 8.8 fixed point format). application programmers dont think about this stuff till they run into a problem. and even thin just work around in instead of replacing their libraries with custom code.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

...that wasn't chocolate syrup...
...at least not just...
"No"

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
If you think testing, error handling, and documentation are beneath you I'll just say good riddance. :p

Oh hell yes. The last thing the programming industry needs is more people who don't comment their code.

i think i comment my code more out of necessity than for readability. i lack the photographic memory neccisary to be a good coder. i can write code and design even a complex system. but if i go do something else (which i do a lot), i will have an insanely hard time getting back into it. so i might have a comment every third line so i can follow the code. like im very bad at naming variables, so 9 times our of 10 there will be a comment next to it explaining what they are for. i know ive had some programmers call my code overcommented, but its better than no comments at all. i look at their code and your luckey if you get a comment every other function. like they expect everyone that reads their code to be as good or better than they are. assuming that every other coder speaks c++ fluently is a bad assumption. rest assured that any programmer will be able to parse the comments at a faster rate than the code. and they certainly make navigating a code base much easier. having one comment that says what the next 10 lines of code do is a real time saver for me. i dont get why so many coders dont like commenting their code.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

Any relation to this?

Quote from: 1 October 2012 Monday, 1033hrs UTC+8, #hard-light
[10:33]   <z64555>   Whoa, hello. Aparently there was something more in that chocolate syrup I made
[10:33]   <z64555>   and I have no idea what that might be

Seriously, what did you put in there? Or did you stir it too few times?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
believe me, i get it, and i don't think it's beneath me.  i just despise doing it.  that's why i left.  for the kind of programming i do now, small programs for personal use to automate tedious computations, it's not necessary.

as for the professor, this guy was invited to speak at symposiums and crap.  he asked my group to use one of our 'projects' (which was just a stack of flashcards) to present.  i don't recall him ever writing a single line of good code.  his TA fixed everything he gave us.  and he gave us a physically impossible assignment.  we could either meet all the assignment's criteria of what classes to use and how to use inheritance and whatnot, or we could write code that worked.  not both.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I don't suppose it's possible to mistake a caffeine high for being drunk, is it?

I opened a bottle of chocolate syrup recently that had a foul after-taste... idk wtf was wrong with it. I've gotten similar from Giant brand chocolate syrup, but never from Safeway brand. So I guess it's not the recipe per se, it's the quality control...

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
believe me, i get it, and i don't think it's beneath me.  i just despise doing it.  that's why i left.  for the kind of programming i do now, small programs for personal use to automate tedious computations, it's not necessary.

as for the professor, this guy was invited to speak at symposiums and crap.  he asked my group to use one of our 'projects' (which was just a stack of flashcards) to present.  i don't recall him ever writing a single line of good code.  his TA fixed everything he gave us.  and he gave us a physically impossible assignment.  we could either meet all the assignment's criteria of what classes to use and how to use inheritance and whatnot, or we could write code that worked.  not both.

Yeah I had the same kind of prof for my freshman design class. He spent half his time talking about his family, I'm pretty sure he was sexist, and he forced us to write our project in 'phrogram', which if you google it you can probably tell how frustrating it was for someone that had already been programming for a few years. What it boils down to is that they just don't care, so I could hardly condemn the entire field. Plus I had already declared my major and I was too lazy to switch to aerospace.