Author Topic: Stunning trailer for an obscure game  (Read 5832 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Re: Stunning trailer for an obscure game
an EA/Dice game

will be buggy.

also, it's against my morals to give money to EA and fuel them ruining the game industry, so i'll have to steal it.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
my morals
Turambar, I don't think you can talk about moral high ground when you intend to steal a relatively interesting and original game just because of the company publishing it.

All you'll be doing is decreasing the likelihood of more risk-taking games in the future. EA isn't going to be dented by protests like yours, they're just going to focus even more on the mass-market gash that makes them the real money. We should be encouraging games like this.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think that was sarcasm ;)

Seriously though, I got vertigo just watching the trailer, not sure this is a game that I'd enjoy too much, even though it does look pretty amazing.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
internet sarchasm nooooo

I have my doubts (obviously), but the point stands. There are far too many people who try to justify piracy with nonsense like that.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Heh, this is why I may well be boycotting Spore entirely, it looks like the Protection will require you to re-register the game every 3 months. I won't pirate the game, though no doubt hax will be available, but unless EA fix that, they won't be getting my money.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Heh, this is why I may well be boycotting Spore entirely, it looks like the Protection will require you to re-register the game every 3 months. I won't pirate the game, though no doubt hax will be available, but unless EA fix that, they won't be getting my money.
They've already repealed that a good deal. It's completely gone on Mass Effect, and dialed back on Spore. It's still got SecureROM on there, but no 10-day checks, retinal scans, or rectal exams.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Thank buggery for that, it's one thing making sure the copy is valid, it's another thing entirely when you have to do the computer equivalent of check in with the parole officer every 10 days not because you have been found guilty of anything, but just in case you've done anything wrong...

Fed up with companies pissing all over their paying customers in the pretence of 'fighting piracy', when that has nothing to do with it. It's far more about making sure no-one can sell on their game when they are finished with it.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Ironically, the companies that don't overprotect their games get a greater proportion of money.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Hm, wouldn't have thought EA would do something unique.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

yeah, that's why i'm skeptical.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
I'm hoping EA just lets DICE do their thing and then just put the EA stamp on it at the end.  We can hope/dream, right?

But yeah, I wish I could send DICE my money and leave EA out of it.
Fed up with companies pissing all over their paying customers in the pretence of 'fighting piracy', when that has nothing to do with it. It's far more about making sure no-one can sell on their game when they are finished with it.
QFT.  I still think it's funny :hopping: that I have to use pirating tools to play a game that I've payed for.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
EA seems to have woken up to the general feeling the wider gaming community has for them. As far as I can tell they're in some kind of a reputation-healing phase at the moment - apparently this isn't the only risky project they've greenlighted.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'm hoping EA just lets DICE do their thing and then just put the EA stamp on it at the end.  We can hope/dream, right?

But yeah, I wish I could send DICE my money and leave EA out of it.
QFT.  I still think it's funny :hopping: that I have to use pirating tools to play a game that I've payed for.

Thing is, if this trend continues, I can see the Gaming Industry greeding itself out of existence as the whole game scene starts going back to it's roots of being written by the players themselves. I already play games like Dwarf Fortress etc, which are free, more often than these super-shiny "xxxx 8 - The Revenge of the Uncle of xxxx's best friend"  that seem to fill the market.

*cough*cough* Steam *cough*
       I bought Half Life anthology off a store shelf, I get home, install it to play it and the disk installs 98% of the game. The other 2% I have to download from Steam, because APPARENTLY I didn't actually buy a finished product to play out of the box, I bought an incomplete and (without an internet connection) useless coaster.
       Then a few nights ago, I wanted to waste some time, so I clicked on "Sin Episodes" which I had picked up for 10 bucks from Future Shop. And what did it say "Launching Steam" well thankyou very much, but I didn't open up Steam, I opened up my friggin game. I don't need some middle man every time I want to play a friggin game that I paid money for.

Not buying anything from Valve again, that's for sure.

Meanwhile people are throwing probably hundreds of dollars and thousands of dollars at Steam, buying stuff online that they have no hard copy for and that Valve and the other companies can save money on because they don't have to package and distribute the game all over the world. It's a win win scenario for the company and the customers need their hand held everytime they play a game, and they pay for basically data that they have no backup for. Screw that. Hmmn, just thought of something . . I wonder if the products on Steam go for MSRP or are they cheaper . . because really, without the cost of packaging, etcetera, they should be cheaper.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 09:37:00 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Justified Steam rant aside....

I don't see how they can make a game like that work with a first person perspective. It just screams "OH NOESZORS I ARE TEH FALLZING!"

.... .... ....

I'm so tired.

I don't see how they can make a game like that work with a first person perspective. It just screams "OH NOESZORS I ARE TEH FALLZING!"

Well, maybe it work maybe it won't, it's cool that someone's actually trying though.     

Honestly, I'm not seeing the attraction here. The art style is neat at first but I was already tired of all the white by the end of the first running sequence, the story seems like a mix of bland and new and all the challenge is taken out of the game with the bright red objects. Well, wikipedia does say you can turn them off...

In the end, it's a good idea but with such limited scope the fundamentals better be sound. They've really gotta have the "30 seconds of fun" down or it's not going to be any good and frankly, I'm just not feeling it. The whole point is to feel the momentum and vertigo as you do it but the ways they do it are so intrusive it takes me out of the game. The arms and legs flail into the screen at every move, the camera bobs just enough to be constantly annoying, there's no sense of height and distance and therefore no sense of momentum, gravity or vertigo...

I'm sure it's got a ways to go but I really hope they improve it. I'm just not getting anything from it. The first person was a good idea but it doesn't feel like you're in the game, it feels like you have a camera stuck to some chicks head and you're telling her directions. Like morpheus advising neo on how to get out of the office if we're still okay with using matrix comparisons here :sigh:
"I only miss what I don't hit."
Show me something that beats 87 BF reds and I'll show you Hateful Lies!!!