Author Topic: Those death-black ships...  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Those death-black ships...
Had an idea, thought I'd try out a quick little mod. Now that we have glow and shine maps, we can make those death-black ships blacker than ever.

I made the diffuse map almost totally black and tinted it purple, and moved all the detail to the shine map and tinted it green. Glowmaps are still red, of course.

End result is that the Shivans look a lot more alien and menacing. Try it for yourself.

These don't have alpha maps so make sure you turn off the 'use alpha for spec' option in the launcher. Works for lod0 on retail models, not sure about the media VPs.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 01:36:19 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Re: Those death-black ships...
I'll try on 3.6.10 betas

Offline Star-Epock

• Time Lord
    • http://www.freespacesaga.com
That looks awsome.  :drevil:
I ♥ FS1

www.nexusthegame.com -Another exellent but bad sales space game-

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
And works only without the mediavps

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Wow, that is incredibly scary

Offline Star-Epock

• Time Lord
Im sure things looked much more like this in FS1, and im pretty sure the Shivan Transport in the Hall fight cutscene looked closer to this than anything else ive seen.

Have you checked how the Lucifer looks?

This is nice work.
I ♥ FS1

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Im sure things looked much more like this in FS1, and im pretty sure the Shivan Transport in the Hall fight cutscene looked closer to this than anything else ive seen.

Have you checked how the Lucifer looks?

This is nice work.
FS1 didn't have such dark shading... Nor did it have glow or shine maps. :p

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
well ... if you set the ambient light to <30 it doesn't look so good...

can't someone finish this like the multicolored shivans? -- with a .vp and all?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Star-Epock

• Time Lord

FS1 didn't have such dark shading... Nor did it have glow or shine maps. :p
[/quote]

No, obviously not. But was the ambient light less? I thought FS2 was "Brighter".

Try playing Shivan Coop gauntlet on Fs1 then on Fs2 and look at the Basilisk.

But im essentailly saying this looks more like the Cutscene ships.
I ♥ FS1

Offline Snail

• SC 5
No, obviously not. But was the ambient light less? I thought FS2 was "Brighter".
I don't think so, FS1 just had a sort of different lighting method to FS2. I don't know what it was, but it was definitely different. It's very notable on the Orion and Arcadia. Maybe it's just that there are like geometry errors and it's just bits of it showing through.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Funny thing is I can see the purple diffuse and green shinemap tints clear as day.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
emo shivans
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I, I do not overly care for the green shine maps.

And with the vp's, they all will work if you remove the 'a' in the file name. (*a.dds and *a-glow becomes *.dds and *-glow)

It doesn't work at all with the HTL Ravana or HTL Lucifer  because it's only affecting LOD1 of the retali maps, which are not all in the same place on the HTL models, if they were ever used once the model was converted. On all other models, using teh original -shine maps, it looks absolutely f'ing awesome.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys