Author Topic: I need a new way to convert models  (Read 1973 times)

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I need a new way to convert models
Up until now, I have been converting models by exporting as 3ds and editing the hierarchy in TrueSpace.  This method has two problem: 1) Smoothing is not preserved and 2) Truespace is a pain in the @$$.  So basically I need a newer, more reliable method for conversion, preferably something that doesn't involve fumbling around in TrueSpace too much.  I am using SketchUp, which can export 3ds, obj, and dae, among other things.  Does anyone know of another conversion method I could use? :confused:

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: I need a new way to convert models
I concur. Maybe a PMF Import/Export for Max/Blender etc or better COB support for the above. Having to use multiple apps to convert to and from is teh suck.

But to answer yor complaint more directly, blowfish, what 3D Modeler are you using? There is a COB import/export for Blender. Judging that you mention 3DS, I am guessing Max, which would require a more updated Import/Export plugin. So far I have not had any luck in having 3D Explorer conver COB-3DS and I haven't loaded TrueSpace to know what it's export options are.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline blowfish

I am using SketchUp

EDIT: Does anyone know how far off DAE import for PCS2 is?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
use the max exporter, contrary to popular opinion i think it works alot better at converting meshes straight from max, than it would to convert through a few formats and use pcs2.

but since you're using sketchup, and cant do this, id suggest not using 3ds. that format sucks, has numerous versions, is inconsistently implemented from program to program, its just crap. i hear good things about obj format.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 04:35:04 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
.Obj is my standard for transporting between applications, can't complain about it at all.

Offline blowfish

Does OBJ support hierarchy?

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
This is probably the most idiotic thing i've ever heard. 3ds exports perfectly fine out of sketchup, and to be honest, I haven't found anything else that does

Offline blowfish

But 3ds doesn't keep smoothing.

Also, I tried OBJ, and it imported into truespace with no complaints ... but the entire ship was one mesh.  No turrets, LODs, etc.  Nothing.

This is becoming a serious problem.  Will I have to wait for DAE support in PCS2 to get this to work?

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
I use Deep Exploration for conversions... it has just about every format known to man in it.

Problem I'm having is that when importing anything from SU to Max
for rigging and other final items - the mesh may be in multiple parts,
and it's always completely made out of edge errors in the STL check.

If you guys have found a way to get models out of SU without edge errors I'd love to hear about it.
I've tried every conversion available between Max, SU, and DE.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
deep exploration is pretty damn good, dispite sounding like the name of a pron vid :D

and stop using stl check unless you plan to print your model in epoxy!
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
and stop using stl check unless you plan to print your model in epoxy!

Um... may I ask why?  :confused:  STL Check's purpose is to check for sound geometry... if I've got a screwed up
mesh, then any number of weird stuff could happen in FS2.

If I've spent an hour making a model, I don't want to see lasers going right through it.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
no its purpose is to check to see if geometry is compatable with a stereo lithographic process or format, for rapid prototyping. using it as an error checker isnt the way its supposed to work. whether a model will work or not is not dependant on the results you get from stl check. a model can work perfectly while failing the tests, or it can have holes everywhere and pass. the biggest source of holes is unmerged verts and micropolies, both can be fixed bu selecting the whole mesh, set a low weld threshold (0.01) and welding. that will kill all those problems, just make sure it doesnt mess up small geometry.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 09:27:12 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
And is there any reason you can't do both? I always weld but STL check helps me find double-polies, open edges, orphaned faces and all sorts of other nasties that show up every so often.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...