Author Topic: The future of TBP  (Read 1489 times)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
OK so TBP has gone FINAL. What does that mean for the future of TBP?

First of all let me define what final means in this context. Since it's inception by Reaperman and Eternal One almost ten years ago The Babylon Project has always had an "official" team. This was a team of modders hand picked by the project leader who in turn worked to produce "official" releases.

Final in this context means that the official team now no longer exists. There will be no more official releases of The Babylon Project. The Babylon Project meaning the core files which are used by third party campaigns. So the ships, effects, interface etc... will not "officially" be updated any further. Personally I believe this is fair enough since you guys now have OVER ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY SHIP CLASSES to play with :D.

What this means is that the future of TBP is now turned over to you the fans. If you wish to release your own third party updates to The Babylon Project core files. New ships etc... you can. Although I would suggest anyone thinking of doing this asks for advice on how to do it without harming backward compatability. Certainly this does not mean the end of new campaigns. Campaigns have always been developed separately to The Babylon Project. Even Raider Wars was developed this way. I am continuing to work on new missions and campaigns and I know of a few other people doing the same. Plus I would hope that with all the downloads we have had recently (ask Swantz) that many other people are experimenting with the mission editor. It is my hope that there will still be quite a bit of game content released in the form of missions and campaigns which can be played using TBP. I urge people to make use of this forum and the FRED forum here on HLP, learn how to use FRED, and write some cool stuff.

We're given you the tools. Go indulge your imagination.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:04:42 pm by IPAndrews »
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.