Author Topic: How far away is the Fs2 nebula?  (Read 12018 times)

Offline Vretsu

How far away is the Fs2 nebula?
In Bosch's third monologue, Bosch states that the nebula may be "billions" of light-years from Earth.

Later I, again for the first time, noticed an ingame command briefing (also the same image seen on the console screen in Bosch's first monologue) with a line stretching out from the Gamma Draconis knossos "node" and vanishing into infinity.

The nebula could be extragalactic. Perhaps the Knossos portals are not merely for bridging unstable intergalactic (IE system to system) nodes. It is mentioned frequently in Fs1 that the ancients' empire spanned multiple galaxies. Perhaps the Knossos portals were somehow created to bridge these galaxies.

I've never thought about it like that, before. Your thoughts?

Re: How far away is the Fs2 nebula?
It's possible, but we'll never really know...

[nitpick]The line stretching to infinity doesn't prove anything, since even a short node would look like that compared to the scale of a Knossos. Also, intergalactic means 'between galaxies', system to system is called 'intragalactic'.[/nitpick]

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Bosch also states it happened to explode 8000 years ago, when humans emerged from their neolithic infancy.
If it was "billions" of light years away, the light wouldn't have reached them unless it exploded billions of years before 8000 years ago, making it impossible for it to be an ancients world...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Fenrir

• ?
But I think Bosch was speaking more figuratively/poetic in that monologue than throwing out true fact. He does that kind of thing.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
The nebula is the remnant of a supernova thousands if not billions of light years from Earth and I wonder now if our ancestors witnessed the death of this star erupting over an Egyptian landscape, blazing with the brilliance of four hundred million suns. Even in their divinity no pharaoh could have imagined this.

So basically Bosch is pretty supposing it's between 4000 and "billions" of years ago. Also, I think "four hundred million suns" would pretty much vaporize any human life on that side of the earth. Maybe that's what happened to the Dinosaurs. :p

Either Bosch is speaking figuratively, or he should never be let near anything that involves math. Bosch faels at quantitative approximation.
-C

Offline Droid803

He's trying to be poetic.
(´・ω・`)

Current astronomers talk like that too. When they say 'that star exploded 8000 years ago', they mean 'the light of the explosion of that star reached us 8000 years ago'. Otherwise, most people wouldn't understand, I guess.

Bosch also states it happened to explode 8000 years ago, when humans emerged from their neolithic infancy.
If it was "billions" of light years away, the light wouldn't have reached them unless it exploded billions of years before 8000 years ago, making it impossible for it to be an ancients world...

What makes you think the light had reached them yet?

IIRC there was nothing that said that the nebula could be seen from any of the familiar systems
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
The system belonged to the Ancients. I've got a plan for it :p

Offline Art Kelson

• Ontop a Mountain
Is there a name given  for this Nebula ? I mean is it the ORion Nebula, the Horsehead Nebula or something similar. Or do you just know it´s in another Galaxy ?

By the Way...Bosch does Drugs, so you can´t take for serious, what he´s talking about... :D
Bosch does Drugs...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
[nitpick]The line stretching to infinity doesn't prove anything, since even a short node would look like that compared to the scale of a Knossos. Also, intergalactic means 'between galaxies', system to system is called 'intragalactic'.[/nitpick]
:lol:
A classic example of stupidity through nitpicking!

Intergalactic means between galaxies, indeed, but Vretsu said extragalactic for a very good reason. If the nebula itself was intergalactic, then it would imply that the entire nebula stretched in-between (inter) two galaxies. That's got to be one ****ing big nebula. Extragalactic just means outside our galaxy, so it could be in the Andromeda galaxy or something. Vretsu was right in the first place.

Is there a name given  for this Nebula ? I mean is it the ORion Nebula, the Horsehead Nebula or something similar. Or do you just know it´s in another Galaxy ?
Most people say that it was either the Lupus Nebula or the Crab Nebula. The Crab Nebula is an interesting candidate because our calculations show that the star shouldn't have exploded when it did because it didn't have enough mass at the time.

Offline Art Kelson

• Ontop a Mountain
Most people say that it was either the Lupus Nebula or the Crab Nebula.

Take a look at this Map...

Distance Sol - Lupus ~ 500 LY
Distance Sol - Crap (M1) ~ 6500LY
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 06:29:45 am by Art Kelson »
Bosch does Drugs...

Offline Droid803

Most people say that it was either the Lupus Nebula or the Crab Nebula. The Crab Nebula is an interesting candidate because our calculations show that the star shouldn't have exploded when it did because it didn't have enough mass at the time.

The Ancients forgot to disable the Cain.
(´・ω・`)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.

:wakka:
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever

:wakka:

DAMN ! THERE GO MY PLANS !...

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Distance Sol - Crap (M1) ~ 6500LY

:lol: lysdexia...
-C

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
DNA = National Dyslexics Association.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
DNA = Do Not Alter :pimp:

anyway. There is no proof as to which nebula it is. For all we are told, it could be in the Andromeda Galaxy or M81. I could just as easily say it was the Tatantula Nebula in the Large Magellanic Could dwarf galaxy. and no-one can say im wrong.

Bosch only wonders if the Ancient Egyptians saw it going supernova.

Anyway, you guys are counting on the star being destroyed in the ancient-shivan war. Personally i think the system was already a nebula. My proof - Knossos 2. There is no way in hell a knossos could survive a supernova.

I say the star had already gone supernova - thus both subspace nodes node out of the system were destablised. The anicients came along and sablised the G-Drax/Nebula node. Then they entered the nebula and stabilised the Nebula/binary node. I suspect the knossos 3 in the binary system leads to another nebula
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Unless the Knossos was built after the supernova.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Pretty bloody stupid to go back and build a knossos leading the Shivan space though wouldn't you say? :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]