Author Topic: Astronomy : Distance in space  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Skullar

Astronomy : Distance in space
Skullars distances in space with proper proportions :

Earth is about 12800 km in diameter.
If Earth was a marble ( 1cm diameter ) lying in the goal of a soccer pitch, then the sun would be a big gym ball ( 109 cm in diameter ) lying in the other goal.

The distance of Earth-Sun is called an AU "astronomic Unit", about 150.000.000 km.

The distance Neptune-Sun is about 30 AU ( Neptune is the outer planet of the solar system ) which means that Neptune ( the size of a tomato while Earth is still a marble ) is about 3 kilometers away from our soccer pitch.

The distance to the next star ( alpha centauri ) is about 4.4 lightyears, thats about  278256  A.U. 

And THAT means, with marbles, tomatos and gymballs, the next star is 32608 kilometers away !
That means more than 3/4 of the length of earth's equator !

Well..... to allow you to ... zoom out in mind....

If the orbit of Neptune ( the tomatoe that flies around the gymball and is about 3 kilometers away, so its orbit is around 6km in diameter  )  was only the size of a coin ( 1cm in diameter ), the next star would still be 43.3 meters away.

A coin in the center of the soccer pitch being neptune's orbit means : the next star is lying on the side line.

Been my pleasure

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Re: Astronomy : Distance in space
Wow, that's far...
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
exactly. And now explain to me why ships travel in normal space sometimes in the B5 universe. Seriously, if you got the jumgate network, you jump at your origin and leave hyperspace at your destination. Not somewhere between.

Of course, the answer is you cannot nicely stage a Raider or Centauri attack in hyperspace, therefore JMS did not care.  :)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
And now explain to me why ships travel in normal space sometimes in the B5 universe. Seriously, if you got the jumgate network, you jump at your origin and leave hyperspace at your destination. Not somewhere between.

Jumpgates/-dirves require Quantium 40, a processed ressource from what ever element, which is extremly rare and hard to get -
now imagine: the jumpgates/-drives are not quite cheap but are an investment for a lifetime (jumpgates are under a special protection by the B5-universe rules of engagement) - where would you place them?

Right, at strategically good locations - that sometimes means that ships have to cover a lot of space just because the gate was built to favor of 2 or more outposts/colonies in the same system..

You cannot navigate freely in hyperspace (well you can up to certain degree) - you have to rely on certain routes (the hyperspace beacons)
thus you will have to exit one hyperspace beacon somewhere to get on another beacon which leads to your destination just because there is no direct route
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Hyperspace matches up to real space....sorta....anyway, where there's a star/blackhole, you know  stuff with big gravity wells, it will effect hyperspace....

Do you remember this maze?

The Tilt maze?

Think of hyperspace being like a whole mix of those mazes. The holes represent the garvitational effects caused stars and other huge objects.
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Hyperspace matches up to real space....sorta....anyway, where there's a star/blackhole, you know  stuff with big gravity wells, it will effect hyperspace....

Think of hyperspace being like a whole mix of those mazes. The holes represent the garvitational effects caused stars and other huge objects.

Hyperspace has its own laws of physics sort of - thus it cannot match real space
but for every coordinate in real space there is coordinate in hyperspace -
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
All im saying is that normal space gavity wells cause by stars and black holes affect hyperspace. I think i remember JMS saying something like that somewhere...if i find it i'll post it

TRUE SHIVAN

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Weren't there hyperspace currents, lifeforms etc. in the B5 universe. The way i understood it was that basically the whole hyperspace was not static. Its seemed to be more like a fluid continuously in motion. So ships which would deviate from the known arrangement of hyperspace beacons would be in trouble - basically meaning that shipping routes exits in hyperspace even if the ships wouldn't jump to normal space in every possible 'intersection'.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
Yep there are lifeforms -> The fen; jellyfish/squid creatures that like to get fresh with passing ships

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
The distance to the next star ( alpha centauri ) is about 4.4 lightyears, thats about  278256  A.U. 

Roughly equivilent to the length of the list of ships terran_emperor requires for his next campaign.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Skullar

I can't believe it.

I brought along some REALFACTS about space for your personal recreation, and you guys make a GOODFACT scenario out of it !!!!
I would like to Garibaldize you threat-highjackers right from this military installation.

Well, that's the way it is, I suppose.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Yeah the moderator should probably do something about it, but since he's joining in and the thread was barely on topic in the first place... ;)
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Skullar

:D