Author Topic: FreeSpace vs Real Life  (Read 13678 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: FreeSpace vs Real Life
It could be possible that there was a very, very old race that planted the Vasudans, humans and maybe Ancients as seeds on lots of planets as an experiment. I guess that the Brahmans that Darius mentioned in BP would be this concept.
How about this?

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
But they developed in almost the same conditions as humans did. That means, that they had to become at least similar to how we are now.

And also, could be that.

P.S. FS2 intro cutscene. Ships move fast.

It was a desert planet.... how is that similar to a planet 70% covered by water?
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'd have to agree with Mr. Wang. There's probably some greater force* which is making things evolve with 2 arms 2 legs, etc.

(*a greater force may still not be your God, your God may vary)

It depends on your point of view, really.

Everything what happens in real life makes sense. Then, people start doeing things with it what make it look cool.
Everything that happens in Freespace is cool. Then, people make up theories to let it make sense as well.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Some of you people seem to have horrible misconceptions about how AI works and how easy it would be to "hack". Of course, remote control would be exceptionally vulnerable to jamming but by the time FS is supposed to take place, AI would be much more advanced than you might expect. As for sabotage while writing the AI, a decent security policy and some decent engineering practice should fix most of that.

There seems to be at least one person who thinks there's an absolute frame of reference for some reason. Please stop basing your views of how reality works on movies with atrocious science. Star Trek is not representative of reality either.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I agree on both points.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Viruses were originaly created by and for the military and OS makers. Now, everyone and his/her grandma can hack or make a virus.

A lot of people can make AI now too, for PC games and etc. But who's to say that it won't get out of control to become too-risky for actual military use ?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Oh, don't go down the "AI will think for itself and rule the world" road please.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
I'm not. All I'm saying, is that AI would become a common thing, where someone will be able to reprograme someone's robotic dog, or a military super fighter.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's not easy to hack military AI. I mean sure, it's possible, but it's still pretty damn hard and probably not worth the effort.

What were we talking about again?

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
If FS is possible in RL, and how it would be like.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
I'm sure the fighters will come with full source code and compiler on board, will use some commonly used architecture and not bother with any encryption, verification etc. and allow just anyone full control.

if we look closer on how things are in our world. If we have AI's controlling ships, either they don't think and don't surpass their programs, then they can be hacked (even if it's hard, just program another AI with abilities to crack another one). If the AI think by itself and don't follow any rules to evolve, then it can't be cracked, but maybe won't be used by military since they don't control it like they want, (they would still have the same control on AI that they have on humans) but it could allow smaller ships (without survival equipement, nor place for human in it)

didn't someone though about BSG series for that ? the cylons can't crack human spaceships, they need to infiltrate their systems to do that. (sorry I don't remember the doctor's name which "betrayed" humanity)

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Baltar ?

yes (although people may disagree with the fact I used the verb "betray" to qualify him)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Viruses were originaly created by and for the military and OS makers. Now, everyone and his/her grandma can hack or make a virus.

A lot of people can make AI now too, for PC games and etc. But who's to say that it won't get out of control to become too-risky for actual military use ?

Viruses were originally made by college students as pranks.  I'm pretty darn sure.  In fact...  eh, no, apparently, the first ones were on the ARPANET, hmm... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_notable_computer_viruses_and_worms http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Virus#History

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
if we look closer on how things are in our world. If we have AI's controlling ships, either they don't think and don't surpass their programs, then they can be hacked (even if it's hard, just program another AI with abilities to crack another one). If the AI think by itself and don't follow any rules to evolve, then it can't be cracked, but maybe won't be used by military since they don't control it like they want, (they would still have the same control on AI that they have on humans) but it could allow smaller ships (without survival equipement, nor place for human in it)

That's really a false dilemma. Updating of programs by no means has to be done in real time, and most likely wouldn't given that it would be much cheaper to put in the cheapest computer that works. It could be done between missions on whichever base runs them, using data collected from the mission. But more importantly, this has nothing to do with how easily it could be hacked or cracked. If we assume AI will advance, then we can assume cryptography will similarly advance or at least still exist in some form and you'd still have to convince this fighter you want to hack that it should listen to you.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You're making hacking it out to be some kind of huge complicated problem.

All you have to do, really, is get into his firecontrol or targeting or IFF coding and turn it from something that makes sense into a bunch of zeros. You don't have to do something fancy. You just have to render it inoperable. Hell, you don't even have to get all of it. Just a small bit. It doesn't take much to bring a huge, complicated bit of code crashing down like some kind of concrete slab house of cards. If you don't believe that, consider how simple it is to bring your PC to a grinding halt. Change one character in the correct place, and there are a lot of places to do it, and you'll never get the thing to work again. An AI of the type you propose would be vastly larger and more complex and have vastly more in the way of weak points because of it.

Put simply, because of its vunerablity to sabotage, such a construct would never be accepted for military service in large numbers. It can't be made secure enough. In relatively small numbers, perhaps, and hence with easily controlled physical access to them, but even then the cost of creating and deploying something like this against the cost of a human pilot wouldn't be very favorable.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
You seem to have leapt straight past getting into it at all. Even if you did make it in, the code could simply be read only while in combat and completely replaced each time between battles. If you sabotaged the base with the code, they could have backups of working code.