Author Topic: New 3.6.10 high-poly orion is too short!  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Vretsu

New 3.6.10 high-poly orion is too short!
The new uber-Orion-model is stubby.

I liked the previous high-poly Orion. It was slightly larger than the vanilla Orion (200 meters?), and looked very majestic. It also didn't break any missions, as far as I know. The new one seems shorter than the original. The 3.6.10 Orion looks very stubby and small and obnoxious and blah.

I'm trying to love the new Orion, but it bothers me a lot. I hope you guys bring back the TRUE version of everyone's favorite space...brick.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: New 3.6.10 high-poly orion is too short!
????

I wasn't aware it had been changed. Will have to investigate.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Eh? There has only been one HTL version of the Orion in the MVPs, and it's 2030m compared to the original 2023m, so I don't know what you mean here.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Vretsu

Uh, you're right. Sorry 'bout that.

But something about it is different. It seems...less shiny, less bright. Blurrier, somehow, in compared to the 3.6.9 version that I've been switching back and forth between.

Maybe I'm just losing my mind. :p

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
What bothers me most are the turrets on the HTL Orion. Its fine for FSport, but...
It feels strange to see a triple-barrel blob turret shoot out a BGreen (the nose turret). At least use TrashMan's HTL Orion turrets for the FS2 one.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Vretsu

Aye. The bottom-front turret should be replaced with...something, at any rate. Note that it would have to be roughly the same dimensions to avoid looking strange/breaking older missions (talking about the firing arc).

I still think the current triple blob turrets look really nice, though. I'm all for keeping the others about the hull.

All that said, it's not too bothersome the way it is. Just nit-picking.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
What bothers me most are the turrets on the HTL Orion. Its fine for FSport, but...
It feels strange to see a triple-barrel blob turret shoot out a BGreen (the nose turret). At least use TrashMan's HTL Orion turrets for the FS2 one.

Well, it seemed like a simple enough job to replace turret01a-arm with TrashMan's turret01a-arm, but PCS2 is giving me array out of bounds :mad:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
But something about it is different. It seems...less shiny, less bright. Blurrier, somehow, in compared to the 3.6.9 version that I've been switching back and forth between.

Could just be the textures. They may have been edited.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
What you're probably seeing there is the effect of mipmaps. The bright points of shine and glow in the previous MVP version looked much brighter because they had none. Mipmaps lower the resolution of the texture with distance, so you avoid the jagged flickkering effect that happens as the game changes which particular pixels of the main texture to render from frame to frame. The effect is most noticable in the techroom view.

As for the turrets - we won't be changing that. The canon model had a triple gun there, and so for compatability we need to keep it that way. If it bothers you, well you can always swap them out yourself. :)

Or rather you will be able to once the deleting subobject and importing subobject thing doesn't cause the crash Blowfish just experienced.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Really? I've always though the Retail one for FS2 had beam cannons and a beam cannon  :doubt:
Just checked...there is the triple-turret there...  :nervous:

Oh well...at least the Uhuru looks right shooting heavy flak out of the triple turret.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================