Author Topic: Duke Nukem Forever in-game footage released  (Read 5391 times)

Re: Duke Nukem Forever in-game footage released
The problem with a massive development time like this is that what was absolute 'top of the line' technology when the game was started will be commonplace by the time it is released. So, people will be left wondering why the game took so long.

A few years ago those videos would have had people drooling over their keyboards, nowadays it looks about at a level with other games that spent far less time in development.

It might be a great game, but they will never live down the amount of years it took to make it, it will always carry that stigma with it.

Look how long Team Fortress 2 took to be released. TF2's development took 10 years, and look how popular it is now. DNF may do alot better than everyone thinks it will.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Prey took a helluva long time to release too, got scrapped quite a few times, totally revamped a few more times .... basically it languished in development hell for a very very long time... Yea, 11 years.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The problem with a massive development time like this is that what was absolute 'top of the line' technology when the game was started will be commonplace by the time it is released. So, people will be left wondering why the game took so long.

A few years ago those videos would have had people drooling over their keyboards, nowadays it looks about at a level with other games that spent far less time in development.

It might be a great game, but they will never live down the amount of years it took to make it, it will always carry that stigma with it.

I've been reading about Duke Nukem Forever's development since I started playing Duke Nukem 3D when I was 12, and I agree with that. Something tells me that the boffins at 3D Realms want to make a game that will please every Duke Nukem fan, as they claim it will. They did switch between two to three game engines, and goodness knows how long it takes to craft a game on ONE engine. Given that, it's easy to see why they took so long.

...they spent 13 years, I think...
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Where's teh damn ingame footage? I couldn't find it when I went to the link.

EDIT - wait I need an xbox? Wtf. Is this going to be Xbox only game or what? God damn consoles.

EDIT2 - did anyone noticed that Duke Nukem Forever has the same initials as Did Not Finish. That's kinda funny. Though I'm sure it was noticed about 10 years ago.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 12:27:16 am by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

EDIT - wait I need an xbox? Wtf. Is this going to be Xbox only game or what? God damn consoles.

EDIT2 - did anyone noticed that Duke Nukem Forever has the same initials as Did Not Finish. That's kinda funny. Though I'm sure it was noticed about 10 years ago.

I saw that the first time I read the Wikipedia article. They probably removed it for violating WP:NOR.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Help Wanted!

Need more help. Must go faster. Scotty, we need more powah! ATTN: 3DR Website level designers, local Dallas/Guildhall level designers and level designers everywhere...

If you're a pro, or an amateur, if you have talent and passion, feel free to send us your stuff. Programmers interested in game play programming, or with 360 experience should look us up, too.

They need help..........

I'm guess there are gonna be a few more delays.......... :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

I remember when Halo was announced, everyone wanted that game and then they switched to console.
Was a bad idea, and led to some ( sometimes heated ) discussions.. One year after they released it for x-box ( or was it 2 ? ), they released it for PC. It was totally disappointing.  :no:

Duke Nukem forever has also the same initials as Development need forever  :p

Offline Roanoke

IIRC it was more like 2, maybe 3 years when Halo was ported to PC.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Parody of E3 footage for DN:T.

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site

the answer is they decided to change game engine to UT3 from the previous engine and start from scratch.

to the point, i am looking forward to this game, i have played all 6 duke games, even to the point that other games such as jason storm and delta force couldn't cure :P.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.