Author Topic: The Bioware Role Playing Games!  (Read 6036 times)

The Bioware Role Playing Games!
As some of you may have noticed, I came in possesion of a few Bioware RPG's in the time that FS was banned from my computer.
And if you wonder what is the reason I have not worked on RealFlight yet... It's in the topic title.

Indeed, I am kinda addicted. Especially to the Baldur's Gate game series. It has a brilliant storyline, and equally brilliant characters (for example Minsc and Viconia). And as the game is very mod-friendly, I am going to be quite busy for the next... decades.

Just curious. has anyone else here played any Bioware RPG's? (Or any RPG's at all?)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: The Bioware Role Playing Games!
Bioware and Black Isle Studios are the best combination ever happened in PC RPG industry. They developed some of the most legendary games, including Baldur's Gate series, Fallout Series, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights series, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire and now Mass Effect.

Ironically the games up to Placescape were published by Interplay. Interplay also laid off the whole staff of Black Isle Studios before their own eventual demise.

Can't help but wait for Bioware's upcoming MMORPG and see if they can top the competition.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I was a huge fan of Baldur's Gate. Even now it calls to me to play it. BG2 left me cold though. I hated the railroad plotl line right off the bat and thus could never get drawn into the game play.

I quite liked Icewind Dale though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Never liked Icewind Dale myself, it felt dull and boring after BG1, BG2 and Planescape Torment. :)
BG1 storyline was great though, and I might even play it again after I discovered this; http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

Offline zircher

• Have gun, will travel.
Let's see.. play Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 several times from beginning to end, played KotOR 1 and 2 from beginning to end, played a little bit of Jade Empire (need to get back to that), and I've completed nine playthroughs of Mass Effect.  Uh yeah, I guess I'm a Bioware fan boy.  :-)
--
TAZ

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I LOVE Neverwinter Nights. User-made campaigns FTW!
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
My little bro is mad on all of them. I just know there's a group of flaming fisters or something. I made a quick NWN tileset a while back. It involved a whole campaign against the evil badger hordes. I might have to root through my old cd's. :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Let's see.. play Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 several times from beginning to end, played KotOR 1 and 2 from beginning to end, played a little bit of Jade Empire (need to get back to that), and I've completed nine playthroughs of Mass Effect.  Uh yeah, I guess I'm a Bioware fan boy.  :-)
--
TAZ

Uhm... same here. Though I'm only on my first playthrough of Mass Effect.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I really do have to question why FS is banned from your computer.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I was a huge fan of Baldur's Gate. Even now it calls to me to play it. BG2 left me cold though. I hated the railroad plotl line right off the bat and thus could never get drawn into the game play.

I quite liked Icewind Dale though.

KARA.

You are missing the best part of the Baldur's Gate series. Easily.

Just get a 'dungeon-be-gone' mod to remove the opening dungeon. An hour or so into your playtime, it opens up into a free-for-all roamer that's pretty much as good as BG1, and in many ways much better.

Isn't it worth one more try?

(I agree that the opening was really dark, unsettling, and alienating after BG1 -- but please, give it a shot. It grows on you.)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 11:31:21 pm by General Battuta »

I really do have to question why FS is banned from your computer.
Because I played FS instead of doeing my homework.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I definitely want to play Mass Effect once I upgrade some hardware in a week or two. It seems like the sort of game I will like, from what I've heard my brother say.

I haven't played any of Bioware's other RPGs. One reason I've never gotten much into RPGs in general is that most of them have the same tired old medieval fantasy setting, which I could never really warm up to, and conventional PC RPGs also have boring combat in my opinion. Mass Effect on the other hand seems closer to shooter/RPG hybrids like Deus Ex, which is one of my favorite games of all time.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
And to think Neverwinter Nights was originally planned to have a good plot.

Yep, Bioware and Black Isle (RIP) rock. Baldur's Gate (still have to finish Throne of Bhaal), Fallout 1 and 2, KotOR are all class. On my playlist are Planescape and Mass Effect.

I'm not interested at all in their MMORPG. It'll have to go against nearly all established genre trends for me to give it any attention.
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
bioware rpgs = the best

:nod:

as simple as that. I played every single one. EVERY game.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Yeah, Bioware's RPGs are the best, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are easily the best RPG I've played till today, the one I didnt like much was Throne of Bhaal, it had somewhat of a good idea but it seemed much more like a rushed expansion than a fitting end to the whole saga.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
sure? To my mind, the ending is perfect. How else could it have ended?

Remember Sarevok in BG1 Intro? I will be the Last and you will be the First...
There is no other way but conflict, one must claim the throne of Bhaal :rolleyes:

However,
Spoiler:
you can also stay human (and be with your loved one) if you desire, you don't need to become a god.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
sure? To my mind, the ending is perfect. How else could it have ended?

Remember Sarevok in BG1 Intro? I will be the Last and you will be the First...
There is no other way but conflict, one must claim the throne of Bhaal :rolleyes:

However,
Spoiler:
you can also stay human (and be with your loved one) if you desire, you don't need to become a god.

Oh, the ending was nice but it could've been better, the game felt too small, it was only about you killing your brothers/sisters, if they had done a bigger game like a BG3 then that would have been perfect.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
KARA.

You are missing the best part of the Baldur's Gate series. Easily.

Just get a 'dungeon-be-gone' mod to remove the opening dungeon. An hour or so into your playtime, it opens up into a free-for-all roamer that's pretty much as good as BG1, and in many ways much better.

Isn't it worth one more try?

(I agree that the opening was really dark, unsettling, and alienating after BG1 -- but please, give it a shot. It grows on you.)

I tried it at least 3 times and it just never managed to grab me the same way BG1 did. I managed to get well past the first dungeon and out and about in Amn but eventually I always gave up cause I simply wasn't having much fun.

I absolutely hated the rail road plot (as a pen and paper GM one of the first rules of Dungeons and Dragons I learned was not to do that). I hated the fact that by the time I'd get round to rescuing Imoen she'd be so low level compared to everyone else in my party she wouldn't be worth keeping. The various sub plots came at me with such a bewildering variety that I found it almost impossible to decide which ones were even slightly worth doing.

Sooner or later I'll give it a try again but BG1 is probably going to get a replay first since I really loved that one.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]