Author Topic: The Bioware Role Playing Games!  (Read 6058 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: The Bioware Role Playing Games!
I did not really like BG1 (played BG2 first) because of the lack of party dialogues (all were flat characters :sigh:) and the story was not exactly gripping. Just running around in forests most of the time  :blah:

you see? opinions differ  :)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Meh, I couldn't get into BG1 at all simply because I realized just how ****ing awful Hack and Slash with low level DnD characters was back on the gold box games.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
KARA.

You are missing the best part of the Baldur's Gate series. Easily.

Just get a 'dungeon-be-gone' mod to remove the opening dungeon. An hour or so into your playtime, it opens up into a free-for-all roamer that's pretty much as good as BG1, and in many ways much better.

Isn't it worth one more try?

(I agree that the opening was really dark, unsettling, and alienating after BG1 -- but please, give it a shot. It grows on you.)

I tried it at least 3 times and it just never managed to grab me the same way BG1 did. I managed to get well past the first dungeon and out and about in Amn but eventually I always gave up cause I simply wasn't having much fun.

I absolutely hated the rail road plot (as a pen and paper GM one of the first rules of Dungeons and Dragons I learned was not to do that). I hated the fact that by the time I'd get round to rescuing Imoen she'd be so low level compared to everyone else in my party she wouldn't be worth keeping. The various sub plots came at me with such a bewildering variety that I found it almost impossible to decide which ones were even slightly worth doing.

Sooner or later I'll give it a try again but BG1 is probably going to get a replay first since I really loved that one.

All right, that's legit.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Just for lulz, let me state I've never played a single one of the Baldur's Gate games in my life. So there. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I did not really like BG1 (played BG2 first) because of the lack of party dialogues (all were flat characters :sigh:) and the story was not exactly gripping. Just running around in forests most of the time  :blah:

you see? opinions differ  :)
Flat characters?

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!"
"Squeaky wheel gets the kick!"

"Let us save ourselves the effort and just lie down and die!".
"We're all doomed,"

I love Minsc and Xan. :D

Meh, I couldn't get into BG1 at all simply because I realized just how ****ing awful Hack and Slash with low level DnD characters was back on the gold box games.
True, once I realized that ranged weapons were much better than any melees, I just equipped all toons with bows, slings, etc and the game became a whole lot easier.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Flat characters?

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!"
"Squeaky wheel gets the kick!"

"Let us save ourselves the effort and just lie down and die!".
"We're all doomed,"

I love Minsc and Xan. :D
Minsc and Xan are fun, but I don't think anyone can argue their personalities aren't two-dimensional.

I think BG1 is the game with the better gameplay (I actually enjoy the low level game, myself), but its story is pretty uninventive. And, yeah, it has a real lack of interesting characters - more than anything, Sarevok just isn't an appealing antagonist. Irenicus on the other hand almost singlehandedly carried BG2 for me.

Yeah, Bioware's RPGs are the best, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are easily the best RPG I've played till today, the one I didnt like much was Throne of Bhaal, it had somewhat of a good idea but it seemed much more like a rushed expansion than a fitting end to the whole saga.

Try the Semi-Offical Ascension mod. TOB as it should have been.

And Karajorma. Why don't just try... Say... EasyTutu (BG1 on the BG2 engine) with some mods (ESPECIALLY the BG1 NPC Project, which adds BG2-like banters to BGtutu?).

Mods rule ;).

My party in BG1: Minsc (Makes you forget all the things you have been trough), Coran ("Life is adventure or nothing". He is so damn right), Viconia (My kind of character. Hated almost everywhere, and somehow I just did the most difficult romance in BG2 without any retry...), Imoen (In the BG1NPC project mod, she regurlary pulls of practical jokes with other party members. Poor Ajantis!), and Dynahier (She is such a good invoker in BG1.. I haven't "tried" her with the BG1NPC project yet, but I am going to).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 06:36:03 am by -Joshua- »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I've always been tempted to try the mods actually.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Oh yea, EasyTutu rocks. I'm slowly playing through BG1 again using just my lone kensai with Imoen tagging along. Quite challenging, since there are practically no great items for a kensai in the game. Deals loads of damage but really can't take any punishment.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I don't have the English versions, so no easytutu for me. Have to use standarttutu  :)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Fury, was that an Ender's Game reference? 'toons'?
Just been reading those books. Great stuff.

Sorry to derail the thread!
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!