Author Topic: Programming board?  (Read 6842 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
This was requested by several of the community members and was a good idea, so here it is.

Use this board for general discussion of programming, show and evaluate your code and to get help in coding when you're stumped. We hope this boards helps in improving coding skills of veteran coders, helps people to pick up coding of previously foreign programming languages and lets people help each other. And this should help to keep general discussion of coding out of the SCP boards.

Have fun. :)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Sounds interesting, specially since I'm doing my last year of computing next year :) Might well come in handy for bouncing ideas around :D

Hopefully, Taylor will come in here, I've always found him exceptionally good at explaining concepts :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 01:02:51 am by Flipside »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I thought the request in Site Support was referring to a general computer-related forum, not specifically limited to programming?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Such a board is still under consideration. After all, there's a limit how much sense it makes to split general discussion.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That is true, but I think if you're going to make an additional board anyway, you might as well expand its scope a bit more. Programming alone is a little restrictive to warrant having an entire category to itself on here.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Category? This board is under existing off-topic category. If by category you meant a board, then only time can answer to that. If this board serves as the hub of the community's coders and will be active, then all is good and the board can stay as it is.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
Code: [Select]
<?php

echo'Hello Programming board';

?>
I hate My signature!

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main(){
    cout<<"Hello, programming board";
    return 0;
}
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Keeping this board limited to programming seems restrictive to me also.  Maybe it could be more of a General Computing board?  I know people come to HLP and post computer-related questions, be it hardware or software.  It doesn't make a lot of sense for programming questions/discussions to go here, while hardware-related questions stay in Gen Disc. 
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
In that case General Discussion should be named the "Spamming, Politics And Meaningless" subforum

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Ya. Works for me.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Category? This board is under existing off-topic category. If by category you meant a board, then only time can answer to that. If this board serves as the hub of the community's coders and will be active, then all is good and the board can stay as it is.

Yes, that's what I meant. We can see what happens, but my impression is that threads on (non-SCP specific) programming are pretty rare around here and there are only two or three experienced coders who post regularly in them. There are a lot more on hardware or general software issues, on the other hand.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i find it annoying when i have to post some non-freespace related code project im working on, and have to stick it in the general board for all the spammers to **** all over. so i like this board. this board is a good idea.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
When is that game of yours gonna get done, Nuke?

In that case General Discussion should be named the "Spamming, Politics And Meaningless" subforum
and flamewars.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's amazing, people spam in a forum designed to reduce spam about how another forum contains spam...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
LOLCODE

HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD!"
KTHXBYE
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
brain****:

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Asuko

• Angel in conflict
I, too find the idea of a seperate programming board nice. I was surprised at first when I saw it but yay!

!/bin/awk
awk print{"Hello programming board"}

This sig is equal to -i.

Free Vasudans! Clicky here!!

Care to kill a flame war™?

"Is it just me or are the squirrels getting more and more waterlogged?" - Tyr

"THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" -Me
"Are you trying to exorcise my Rubik's cube?" -Tyrian

"Life's an adventure*plunge*" -Tyrian
"You call plunging a toilet an adventure?" -Me

using System ;

namespace Hardlight
{
    [STAThread]
    static void Main()
    {
         Console.WriteLine ("Hello programming board") ;
    }
}
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"