Author Topic: Vree ship naming  (Read 2421 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Anyone know if the Vree name their individual ships and if so where the names are derived from?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
    • The Heat Em Up Web site
Yes they normally name them Vone, Twoo, Vree, Vore, Vive etc  :)
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

Are You Ready?  Find Out!
www.heatemup.co.uk

Visit  -  http://proxima-fleet.com for the heatemup Forums.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
"The Count" has entered the building.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
They name them in Vree  :D
I decided that they always use double names, I used Ratda Dorn, Tranfra Trelon and Santala Fan and a few others like this in FH. I think it sounds good.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
OK so they aren't taken from any mythology or language they are just made up. 

Do the names of the ships have anything to do with their government structure (consortium I think)?  Basically is the ship naming related to the commander of the vessel in any way.  Are they even called commanders?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
The Vree are organized in guild's, iirc. The Adventure/ Merchant's guild ( the largest guild ) was the one who participated in the Shadow War.

have to find that B5 book, where these facts are mentioned, there is also 1 name of of a Vree ship.

Not sure about the commander names for ships.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Guilds where what I was trying to think of.  It's a consortium of guilds.  That was what was making me wonder about a relation between what the commanders are called and their ship names.  Kind of thinking along the lines of if it's a more complex version of the Admiral or General thing depending on if it's Air force or Navy. 

If there's nothing special I'll just do the old break out the D&D books and pick something.  Deities and Demigods is always a good source.  Think I used everything in there in my FS2 multi campaign already though. 

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Ok, found that book, the commanding officers are referred to as 'Commanders', although it seems that a member ( or a representative ) of the ruling council of the respective guild ( every guild deploys it own ships ) is in command of the mission.
No info about ship names. Sorry, wasn't much helpful.

Yeah, Deities and Demigods are probably the best choice...

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
That looks like what I read a few weeks ago.  Just couldn't find that article at all last night.  So my temporary #Vree Commander message source can stay as is then.  Since I don't seem limited on ship names that leaves some creative license which is always helpful. 

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
make up the Goddamn names, they will sound more alien than anything!  :)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Daeron

• The guy playing with a mouse

Make the names up and just say they're the Vree equivalent of some English version that would fit the particular guild the ship is part of.

Ratda Dorn could mean Reckless Scout for all we know if she was part of the Adventurers/Merchant Guild.  :)
Yarrrr! there be ony two ranks of leader amongst us pirates! Captain and if your really notorious then it’s Cap’n!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Already have it named.  Wanted to go with something that would fit the mission.